Andy Lee: Haye-Chisora would be a pay-per-view sellout right now
By William Mackay: If former WBA heavyweight champion David Haye is unable to get a fight against either of the Klitschko brothers then he might want to think about taking on former British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion Dereck Chisora in his next fight because it could be huge in the UK due to their recent brawl they were involved with after Chisora’s loss to WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko last month.
Chisora walked up on Haye in the post fight press conference and was promptly nailed by a left-right combination and then wrestled to the ground. All of this was caught on video by the television crew and the various medial personal.
Middleweight contender Andy Lee thinks that a fight between Chisora and Haye would be a pay-per-view worthy fight if it were to take place right now. Lee said to eastsideboxing.com’s On the Ropes Boxing Radio Program “It did get a lot of attention and I guess if Haye and Chisora fight right now, it would be a pay-per-view sellout, because everyone would want to see it. There’s always been controversy especially with the heavyweights.”
I agree that it would be a big fight right now if it could be made in the UK. However, the problem here is Chisora is likely to be dealt with some kind of short term ban of four to six months by the British Boxing Board of Control when they meet next week and the amount of time will be enough for a lot of boxing fans to lose interest in the fight. Right now there’s a ton of interest due to their brawl occurring only last month, but in six to nine months, I doubt few people will really care to see them fight. The main problem is Haye has no interest in taking a fight against Chisora because it would bring in considerably less than what he’d get in a fight against Vitali or a rematch against his brother Wladimir Klitschko. Haye won’t want to take a risk that Chisora might get lucky and beat him. I don’t think he would because Haye is so much faster than him and would likely destroy Chisora in a round or two if he came out swinging.
More Boxing News:
- Oleksandr Usyk vs. Dereck Chisora on DAZN & Sky Box Office Pay-Per-View on Oct.31
- Usyk vs. Chisora Confirmed For October 31!
- Chisora responds to Usyk while taking body shots from David Haye
- Oleksandr Usyk: “Dereck Chisora, I’m coming for you”
- Eddie Hearn close to getting Usyk vs. Chisora done for October 31st
- Shawn Porter: Demetrius Andrade beats Jermall Charlo
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?
- Teofimo warns Lomachenko: ‘I’m putting hands on you on October 17th’
- Mairis Briedis considering a move to heavyweight
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet