Adamek takes risky fight against Aguilera on March 24th
By Dan Ambrose: Tomas Adamek (44-2, 28 KO’s) has elected to take on a big puncher in his fight coming up on March 24th when he faces Nagy Aguilera (17-6, 12 KO’s) in a 12 round fight at the Aviator Sports Complex, Brooklyn, New York, U.S. Adamek, 35, didn’t want to take on a stiff for this fight after losing by a 10th round stoppage to WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko last September in Poland.
For whatever reason, Adamek resisted the urge to go back to fighting the stiffs that he’d been fighting since he moved up to the heavyweight division in 2009. Adamek may end wishing he’d taken on a lighter hitter because Aguilera can really punch and he does very well against guys with only minimal power and size like Adamek. I wouldn’t be surprised if Adamek were knocked out in this fight because Aguilera is no joke. He may have problems taking shots against big punchers like Samuel Peter and Chris Arreola, but he’s good against the other guys. Adamek obviously isn’t going to try and trade with Aguilera unless he knows with a high degree of certainty that he can land his shots without getting hit in return.
Aguilera can be out-boxed. Antonio Tarver, Darrel Madison and Maurice Harris were all able to out-box him, but they all took big shots from him in the course of winning. Adamek couldn’t stay on his feet against Vitali last September and took some heavy punishment. Aguilera is fighting Adamek at the fight time with him coming off a disappointing loss that could undermine his confidence. Aguilera is good enough to win a fight even if he’s being out-boxed. His power is good enough for him to come back in fights if he falls behind early against Adamek. It’ll be interesting because Adamek will likely use nonstop movement all night long in order to stay away from Aguilera’s power shots.
More Boxing News:
- Beterbiev, Miller and Roman shine, Vargas disappoints
- Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller looks unbeatable at 317 lbs., wants Anthony Joshua
- Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller stops Tomasz Adamek – Results
- Jarrell ‘Big Baby Miller battles Tomasz Adamek tonight on DAZN
- Vargas vs Dulorme, Beterbiev vs Johnson & Miller vs Adamek – Weigh-in Results
- Charlo vs. Derevyanchenko and Jermell vs Rosario preview & prediction
- Josh Taylor vs. Apinun Khongsong this Saturday on Sept.26
- Sergiy Derevyanchenko training camp quotes for Saturday against Jermall Charlo
- Kell Brook: I can hurt Terence Crawford 100%
- Lomachenko: I’m going to cause Teofimo pain