Roger Mayweather: All Cotto can do is punch; he ain’t that skilled
By Dan Ambrose: Trainer Roger Mayweather isn’t hardly impressed with WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto and doesnt see him as having anything to worry his nephew Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 5th when Cotto and Floyd meet up at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Roger told eastsideboxing.com’s On the Ropes Boxing Radio Program “He [Cotto] ain’t that skilled. He got his a** whopped by [Manny] Pacquiao, so he ain’t that skilled! The only thing I see Cotto can do is punch. Other than that, he ain’t got s*** for my nephew. The only thing he can do is punch. That’s all he can do, but they all can punch!”
Roger speaks the truth here. All the fighters can punch, not just Cotto. If he can’t hit Mayweather then it really doesn’t matter whether Cotto can punch or not because he won’t be hitting anything in this fight. Mayweather is too quick for him, and Cotto will be forced to lighten up on his punches in order to make contact with anything.
Roger said that Cotto’s power will be pretty much meaningless in this fight because he won’t be able to hit anything with his shots. That’s the problem he’s going to have. Cotto has become spoiled in his last three fights because his promoter Bob Arum has matched him against soft opposition since the lambasting Cotto took in the Pacquiao loss. But brutal reality will hit Cotto over the head when he sets foot in the ring with Mayweather. Then it gets real and he’ll know that he hasn’t improved any and that he’s just kept from losing all this time by his promoter.
Cotto may have to try and box Mayweather is he wants to survive for long because he won’t have much luck if he tries to slug it out, because it will present Mayweather too many chances to land his counter shots.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing’s Greatest Grudge Matches tonight on ESPNEWS
- Super welterweight division still up for grabs
- Antonio Margarito: The “Loaded” Gloves and His Rivalry with Miguel Cotto on Dec 23 on Telemundo
- Promoting more challenging than fighting for Miguel Cotto
- Miguel Cotto to undergo biceps surgery on Wednesday
- Denis Douglin spars with Floyd Mayweather Jr, gives details
- Crawford vs. Pacquiao possible for Bahrain in 2020
- Anthony Joshua WON’T fight Mike Tyson
- Arum reacts to Spence wanting Crawford, Danny Garcia & Pacquiao fights
- Golovkin prefers Kamil Szeremeta over Canelo trilogy