Broner could fight on Khan-Peterson II undercard on May 19th
By Eric Thomas: WBO super featherweight champion Adrien Broner (23-0, 19 KO’s) could be back in action on May 19th on the undercard of the Amir Khan vs. Lamont Peterson rematch at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, according to RingTV. Broner defeated Eloy Perez last Saturday night by a 4th round TKO victory at the Scottrade Center, Saint Louis, Missouri. The stole the show from headliner Devon Alexander in his shutout clinch-fest victory over Marcos Maidana.
Golden Boy Promotions matchmaker Eric Gomez told RingTV “We’re looking into it [Broner fighting on Khan vs. Peterson undercard]. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard [Schaefer] is going to have some discussions this week with HBO to see what kind of money they’re offering and what kind of budget they’re working with.”
So if the money is there we’ll be seeing the 22-year-old Broner again real soon. Hopefully they can find a better opponent that can give him some rounds because he’s starting to blow out everyone matched against him. In his last three fights, Broner has stopped Jason Litzau in the 1st round, Vicente Martin Rodriguez by a 3rd round TKO, and Perez in a 4th round stoppage. The last time Broner went the distance was against former WBO super bantamweight champion Daniel Ponce De Leon in March 2011. Broner has really improved since then and is setting down on his punches a lot more than he was in that fight.
Gomez said “After that fight [De Leon], Broner turned it up a notch.”
Broner realized that he can’t let his opposition hang around like he did with De Leon because they’ll land some shots and make the fight a lot more difficult that it should be.
Broner’s fighting style is a lot like Floyd Mayweather Jr. but with much better power. He does everything that Mayweather does but he’s a lot more a devastating puncher at this weight compared to Mayweather at welterweight.
Having Broner on the Khan-Peterson undercard will bring a lot more excitement to that card because the Khan vs. Peterson rematch may have a lot of running and fouling involved making it a rather dull fight.
More Boxing News:
- Haney sends duck message to Tank, Broner, Lomachenko, Ryan and Teofimo
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Adrien Broner and Devin Haney interested in fighting
- Adrien Broner: If I return to 135, I’ll destroy the weight class
- Charlo vs. Derevyanchenko and Jermell vs Rosario preview & prediction
- Josh Taylor vs. Apinun Khongsong this Saturday on Sept.26
- Sergiy Derevyanchenko training camp quotes for Saturday against Jermall Charlo
- Kell Brook: I can hurt Terence Crawford 100%
- Lomachenko: I’m going to cause Teofimo pain