The ball is in Floyd’s court
By John F. McKenna (McJack): World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao (54-3-2, 38 KO’s), by his agreement to take a smaller percentage in a huge mega fight with undefeated WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26 KO’s) has successfully put the ball in “Money” Mayweather’s court. As if playing in a high stakes game of chess Pacquiao anticipating a possible delay because of the money split has trumped Floyd in advance by agreeing in advance to take a smaller cut.
This is an intelligent move for a couple of reasons. It removes the anticipated financial haggling in the negotiations for such a fight by pre empting Floyd in advance. Further, it demonstrates to the Mayweather camp and the boxing world that Pacquiao wants the Mayweather – Pacquiao fight to happen and that Manny is not the reason for any delays in negotiations.
In addition to his willingness to take a smaller cut of the proceeds, Pacquiao has removed the other major stumbling block by agreeing to the Mayweahter camps pre fight drug testing demands.
The Pacquiao camp believes that if Mayweahter still refuses to come to terms to fight Pacquiao that he will be a big disappointment to his American boxing fans, although it is presumed that an effort will be made to spin it so that the blame falls on either Top Rank CEO Bob Arum or Pacquiao himself. Pacquiao has made it clear that he wants to fight Mayweather next.
A Mayweather – Pacquiao fight would in all likelihood, break all existing Pay Per View (PPV) buys. The Mayweather – De La Hoya fight in 2007 at 2.4 million PPV buys ranks as the #1 PPV fight of all time.
Pacquiao adviser Franklin Gacal was quoted in PhilSTAR.com saying:
“If he still refuses then he’s really scared of Manny.”
It is expected that a Mayweather – Pacquiao fight would generate in excess of $100 million. Both fighters could conceivably net in the range of $50 million dollars. Last week there were rumors flying around that Floyd wanted a guarantee of $100 million dollars as his share of the purse, but that has not been confirmed.
Gacal stated that Manny truly wants the fight to happen. His agreeing to take a smaller percentage of the take is his way of thanking his fans for their support of him over the years.
More Boxing News:
- Mayweather & Haney working out on mitts; Tank Davis still a problem
- Gervonta Davis days with Mayweather Promotions could be numbered
- Pacquiao or Mayweather – Who had the better career?
- Devin Haney hanging with Mayweather, says Teofimo Lopez never sent offer
- Fury wants to surpass Mayweather and Canelo with biggest contract
- Dana White says Dillian Whyte vs. Francis Ngannou epress conference NOT happening
- Spence vs. Garcia, Tank Davis vs. Santa Cruz & Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2 planned for U.S boxing return
- Ryan Garcia: Teofimo Lopez is desperate as they come
- Tyson Fury ahead of Anthony Joshua in Forbes’ highest paid athletes list
- Ivan Baranchyk vs. Jose Zepeda on July 7 on ESPN in Las Vegas