Mayweather vs. Pacquiao talks ongoing?
By John F. McKenna (McJack): Top Rank CEO Bob Arum disclosed on Sunday that he is holding talks with investment groups who are interested in staging the Mega bucks match with undefeated World Boxing Council (WBC) welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26 KO’s) and WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquaio (54-3-2, 38 KO’s).
Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz is also involved in the discussions, which confirms statements made by Manny last week that efforts were underway to put together the long anticipated match.
According to Arum the investment groups have been in contact with Mayweather. Arum was quoted in the Manila Bulletin saying:
“Mayweather is going solo”. Arum noted that Oscar De La Hoya owned Golden Boy Promotions (GBP) has not been involved in the on going discussions.
Arum went on to say that Mayweather does not want GBP to be involved in the talks and that is why GBP chief executive officer Richard Schaefer is unaware of the various meetings that have been taking place.
According to Arum everything possible is being done to arrange the fight by those involved in the discussions. The 80 year old Arum went on to say that in the event a Mayweather – Pacquiao fight cannot be arranged he will attempt to make a 4th match with Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez.
Arum said that he is looking forward eagerly to ascertain the final Pay Per View (PPV) numbers of the 3rd Pacquiao – Marquez fight.
“This is going to be Pacquiao’s biggest PPV ever” Arum was quoted as saying.
The Pacquiao – Mosley fight last May drew 1.3 million PPV buys, which was Manny’s largest to date. Pacquiao – Marquez will be a minimum of 1.4 million PPV buys and the figure could go as high as 1.5 million.
Pacquiao earned $22 million for the Marquez fight and that figure will climb due to the PPV buys.
A Mayweather – Pacquiao fight would undoubtedly be the largest revenue fight in boxing history because of the huge worldwide interest in the fight. It remains to be seen whether or not the current discussions will lead to the match boxing fans have sought for so long. Past negotiations have fallen apart for one reason or another with both sides blaming the other side for the breakdown.
- Mayweather says Gervonta Davis is new face of Boxing, not Canelo Alvarez
- Abner Mares, says “Floyd Mayweather Jr. hurt the sport of boxing”
- Logan Paul angry after Mayweather’s brawl with Jake Paul
- Mayweather reacts to Canelo saying he’d beat him in his prime