Arum: Margarito’s eye is 100% and stronger than a normal person’s eye
By Dan Ambrose: I just got a laugh watching an interview of promoter Bob Arum talking about the surgically repaired right eye of his fighter Antonio Margarito. Arum claims that Margarito’s right eye is stronger now because of the recent surgery than it was before Margarito injured his eye.
I don’t know what Arum is thinking, because that kind of goes against the common knowledge about an eye or any part of your body.
Here’s what Arum said in an interview at boricuaboxing.com: “That eye was treated is now 100% and stronger than a normal person’s eye and less likely to have anything bad happen – An eye that hasn’t had this surgery. Every leading expert in the world has testified to that effect.”
I don’t buy it. Just looking at Margarito’s right eye is painful, and I think for a second it’s stronger than a normal eye. I think Arum is doing his job promoting the fight, but by saying Margarito’s eye is stronger than a normal eye, stronger than it was before he ever injured it, I think Arum is going a bit overboard. When you a bad knee injury and get it repaired surgically to repair cartilage, that knee isn’t the same. It may function at a 90% of what it was before the injury, depending on how bad the injury, but it’s not going to be the same as it was before the injury. I’m pretty sure it’s the same for an eye.
But I don’t I think it matters for this fight. Margarito will be pure hell Cotto even with only one good eye. If his right eye goes, which I have a feeling it will, Margarito should be okay as long as his left eye remains open. If that closes, he’s toast. But I doubt Cotto will be able to take out both of Margarito’s eyes before he has Cotto taking knees left and right.
Cotto already said he’s not willing to die in the ring. The difference here is Margarito will do anything to win this fight, and Cotto probably won’t. When the going gets tough, I see Cotto doing what he did in the past and dropping to his knees for the 10 count. The self preservation instincts are high in Cotto, whereas with Margarito he simply doesn’t care. He’ll do anything he has to in order to win this fight and even sacrifice body parts.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing’s Greatest Grudge Matches tonight on ESPNEWS
- Super welterweight division still up for grabs
- Antonio Margarito: The “Loaded” Gloves and His Rivalry with Miguel Cotto on Dec 23 on Telemundo
- Sam Eggington hoping for Antonio Margarito fight in States
- Promoting more challenging than fighting for Miguel Cotto
- Whyte wants WBC to force Fury to fight him next in 2020
- Shakur Stevenson vs. Felix Caraballo possible for June 9
- Gassiev is better suited than Usyk at heavyweight – Abel Sanchez
- Evander Holyfield training with Wladimir Klitschko
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Billy Joe Saunders still expected for 2020 – Eddie Hearn