Sergio Martinez waiting to face Chavez Jr.-Manfredo Jr. winner
By Allen Fox: Sergio Martinez shot down rumors of him fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr. recently, saying that it was nothing but a rumor about that fight being made. Instead, Martinez is waiting to fight the winner of the November 19th fight between WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and challenger Peter Manfredo Jr.
Martinez, 36, has been promised by the World Boxing Council that he gets to face the winner the winner of the Chavez Jr. vs. Manfredo Jr. fight, as Martinez is the WBC Emeritus champion and is guaranteed a shot at the winner. Martinez expects Chavez Jr. to be stripped of his title in 2012 by the WBC if Chavez Jr. fails to fight Martinez.
It’s very likely that Chavez Jr. will opt to vacate the WBC belt rather than fight Martinez, because Chavez’s promoter Bob Arum hasn’t seemed eager lately to match Chavez with the hard hitting Martinez. Arum is still hoping to put Chavez Jr. in with Saul Alvarez in 2012 rather than putting Chavez in with a fighter like Martinez who will very likely knock Chavez Jr. out and take away his unbeaten record.
It would be disappointing if Chavez Jr. does decide to side step Martinez but really not surprising. Chavez Jr. still hasn’t faced a dangerous opponent yet despite fighting for eight years as a pro. He defeated the previous champion Sebastian Zbik by a 12 round decision last June in a very close fight. Zbik was the fighter that the WBC installed as the champion after Martinez was stripped of his WBC title by the World Boxing Council because Martinez opted to fight Sergiy Dzinziruk rather than Zbik.
More Boxing News:
- Sergio Martinez making comeback, fighting Kerman Lejarraga in Dec. or Jan.
- Eddie Hearn willing to let Julio Chavez Jr. rebuild career on Matchroom undercards
- Daniel Jacobs wants GGG rematch, Jermall Charlo, Saunders or Callum in 2020
- Chavez Jr. hospitalized, having NOSE surgery after loss to Jacobs
- Photos / Results: Danny Jacobs Retires Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.
- Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2, Haney vs. Campbell & Prograis vs. Hooker in July or August in U.S
- Eddie Hearn talks DAZN and Canelo vs. Saunders for 2020
- Andy Ruiz Jr. – NO days off from training
- Naoya Inoue vs. John Riel Casimero in September in Las Vegas
- Anthony Joshua vs. Kubrat Pulev marketed to the wealthy?