Cotto in trouble against Margarito
By Dan Ambrose: With Emanuel Steward working as his trainer, WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto at least had a chance to beat Antonio Margarito in their rematch on December 3rd, but now that Steward has been replaced with another trainer.
Steward was replaced because of a scheduling conflict, which no doubt was because Steward will be working with IBF/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko to get him ready for his December 10th fight against Jean Marc Mormeck in Germany and won’t be available to train Cotto.
Cotto was going to have a lot of problems against Margarito as was because of size and power advantage Margarito had over him. I don’t believe for a second that Margarito fought Cotto with loaded gloves three years ago. That’s ridiculous because if he had it would have been discovered during the taping of Margarito’s hands before the fight. Cotto just took a beating against a bigger, stronger fighter and he didn’t have a clue to prevent it from happening. It’s not like actually tried to mix it up with Margarito, because it was the opposite of that all fight long. Cotto was running for his life all night and whenever he would stop, Margarito was putting a hurting on him. Nothing will be different in the rematch except that Cotto will be older, slower and less able to run for as long. Cotto will have to stop more to catch his breath and fight when he doesn’t want to because Margarito will be catching up to him to batter him.
Steward would have helped Cotto by giving him some expert instructions in between rounds to keep him from trying to mix it up too much with the harder hitting Margarito. Steward would have advised Cotto to stay away From Margarito, knowing that the Mexican fighter was simply too for Cotto.
More Boxing News:
- Super welterweight division still up for grabs
- Antonio Margarito: The “Loaded” Gloves and His Rivalry with Miguel Cotto on Dec 23 on Telemundo
- Sam Eggington hoping for Antonio Margarito fight in States
- Promoting more challenging than fighting for Miguel Cotto
- Miguel Cotto to undergo biceps surgery on Wednesday
- Malignaggi: ‘They did Golovkin DIRTY in first 2 Canelo fights’
- Joshua could fight Ruiz a third time – Hearn
- Brook: ‘I’m the guy to beat Crawford’
- Caleb Plant looking sharp training
- Canelo vs. BJ Saunders not likely to happen