Brook hoping to get world title shot if he beats Jackiewicz on Saturday
By William Mackay: Unbeaten welterweight contender Kell Brook (24-0, 16 KO’s) is hoping to get a world title shot against WBA welterweight champion Vyacheslav Senchenko in early 2012 if Brook can defeated 34-year-old Polish contender Rafael Jackiewicz (38-9-1, 19 KO’s) on Saturday night at the Ponds Forge Arena, Sheffield, Yorkshire, UK.
Brook and his team want to try and lure Senchenko over the UK to defend his title in front of what would likely be a large British crowd. It may be a hard sell, however, because unless Brook’s management can convince Senchenko that the fight will make a ton of money, he might want to play it safe by not fighting Brook in his home country.
You can’t count out Jackiewicz on Saturday night, because he gave former IBF welterweight champion Jan Zaveck all kinds of problems in a close 12 round majority decision loss last year in September. Jackiewicz kept pressuring the hard hitting Zaveck and nailing him with right hands and left hooks and making it hard for him. Brook will have to try his best to get Jackiewicz out as fast as possible, because if he lets this guy stick around for long, he can potentially make it difficult for Brook.
Saturday’s bout will be a home fight for Brook, and that should help him get the confidence needed to bear Jackiewicz. Brook not only wants to win the fight, but he also wants to shine. That may not be easy with Jackiewicz pressuring him all night long. Brook likes to move around a lot and throw punches from odd angles. However, isn’t bothered by crafty fighters and will likely continue to put pressure on Brook for the full 12 rounds.
Senchenko is considered by a lot of boxing fans to be the weakest of the four welterweight champions as of now. Oddly enough, Brook’s management aren’t steering him towards WBC champion Floyd Mayweather Jr., WBO champion Manny Pacquiao or IBF champion Andre Berto. It’s understandable, though, because Mayweather and Pacquiao would never waste time in fighting Brook because he’s not well known.
More Boxing News:
- Crawford fight looking SLIM for Brook in 2020
- Kell Brook confident Terence Crawford clash happens
- John Fewkes opens up on Kell Brook split and issue with Dominic Ingle
- Liam Smith wants Kell Brook
- Amir Khan: ‘Kell Brook needs me more than I need him’
- Mike Tyson looking chiseled training for exhibition
- Manny Pacquiao reacts to Floyd Mayweather calling him an “OLD man”
- Gervonta Davis WARNS Ryan Garcia that he’ll slap him
- Mayweather could have ended Canelo’s career – Mauricio Sulaiman
- Chris Eubank Jr. still wants GGG and Canelo this year