Robert Guerrero wants fight against Mayweather in 2012
By Jason Kim: Perhaps the least likely fighter to get a shot against Floyd Mayweather Jr. right now is Robert Guerrero, who is coming off of a possible career threatening injury involving a torn left rotator cuff.
Guerrero had surgery on his torn shoulder and things are looking good as of now, but there’s no telling whether Guerrero will ever regain the power or the full range of motion in the shoulder that he once had. However, that’s not stopping Guerrero from thinking big about his future, because he wants a fight against Mayweather, despite the injury.
Guerrero said this to RingTV: “I know Floyd will be looking for another fight at the beginning of the year, because he didn’t have to put in that much work on Saturday [against Victor Ortiz]. Hey, let’s make that fight. You get guys like Amir Khan who throw out names but they don’t sign the contracts. But you’ve got guys like Floyd who fight the best. You know what? Let’s do it.”
I think the last thing Guerrero needs in the first part of next year is a fight against Mayweather. Coming off an injury like that, Guerrero really needs to ease his way back into fighting by starting against 3rd tier fighters and then slowly work his way back up to the upper level fighters. No way would Mayweather be interested in a guy coming off of major surgery on his rotator cuff, especially a fighter that’s not particularly well known. Guerrero doesn’t have a really huge base, hence Mayweather will ignore Guerrero.
Guerrero needs to spend about a year rehabbing his shoulder and try to work his way back up to where he can take on someone like Marcos Maidana, Lamont Peterson or Paul McCloskey. If he can get back to that level, he’ll be doing okay, but I have my doubts.
More Boxing News:
- Santa Cruz says he’ll slug with Tank if he can handle his power
- Mayweather says Deontay Wilder only needs “basic fundamentals” to beat Fury
- What would have happened if Floyd and Naz had met at the Crossroads, in 1999, at 128 lbs.?
- Floyd Mayweather says he’s still the ‘Face of Boxing’
- Mayweather interested in fighting Khabib and McGregor for $600 million
- Let’s be honest about Vasily Lomachenko
- Lomachenko has undergone shoulder surgery following loss to Teofimo Lopez
- Lomachenko vs. Lopez peaked at around 3 million viewers on ESPN
- Dave Allen needs new opponent, Christian Hammer tests for COVID 19
- Teofimo Lopez – Bob Arum lists options for his next fight in 2021