Tony Thompson to fight Eddie Chambers
By John F. McKenna (McJack): Close friends Tony Thompson (36-2, 24 KO’s) and Eddie Chambers (36-2, 18 KO’s) have signed contracts to fight each other at Bally’s in Atlantic City on October 28. Both heavyweight contenders fight for promoter Dan Goossen. A rematch with heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko is at stake for the winner.
When speaking of fighting his friend Thompson was quoted in the Associated Press saying “It’s tough, but there is an opportunity for both of us to realize a dream. I’m happy for both of us to get this opportunity, but I have to go in there and take care of business. I consider us more than friends. I consider myself like a mentor to him.”
Both fighters know each others styles because they have sparred on a regular basis when preparing for fights.
His friendship with Thompson notwithstanding Chambers said “But sometimes in this business you got to fight your friends. I’m just looking forward to the fight and getting it done. We are two of the top heavyweights in the division and we have helped each other get there. I’ve helped him and he’s helped me get ready for fights several different times. He’s the type of person that, If I had kids I’d have my kids play with his kids, but we know this is business. Boxing is not a team sport, but if it was a team sport we’d be on the same team.”
Thompson who turns 40 on October 18 was Wladimir Klitschko’s mandatory challenger in July 2008 and was stopped in the 11th round of a competitive fight in Germany. Since his loss to Klitschko Thompson has won five in a row by knockout. Thompson’s only other loss was early in his career when he lost a four round decision.
Eddie Chambers who is 29, was also a mandatory challenger for Klitschko in March 2010. Chambers fought a defensive fight after being stung by a Klitschko right hand in the 2nd round. Chambers lost virtually every round and was knocked out with five seconds remaining in the fight.
Chambers at 6’1”, 210 pounds will be at a huge size disadvantage when he steps into the ring with Thompson who at 6’5” 250 pounds is close to Wladimir Klitschko’s size.
Any thoughts of the close friendship Thompson and Chambers share will quickly disappear when the bell sounds for the first round. It should be an entertaining fight.
More Boxing News:
- Tony Thompson wants David Price third fight
- Luis Ortiz – Tony Thompson averages 740K viewers on HBO
- Luis Ortiz: The top heavyweights are going to have to fight me
- Luis Ortiz defeats Tony Thompson; Jessie Vargas stops Sadam Ali
- Luis Ortiz KOs Tony Thompson in 6th round – results
- Let’s be honest about Vasily Lomachenko
- Lomachenko has undergone shoulder surgery following loss to Teofimo Lopez
- Lomachenko vs. Lopez peaked at around 3 million viewers on ESPN
- Dave Allen needs new opponent, Christian Hammer tests for COVID 19
- Teofimo Lopez – Bob Arum lists options for his next fight in 2021