Jeff Mayweather: Pacquiao-Mayweather fight won’t happen until 2013
By Chris Williams: Although Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, Manny Pacquiao and his promoter Bob Arum are talking about a fight between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr in 2012, Jeff Mayweather, the unclear for Mayweather, doesn’t see that happening in his crystal ball. The earliest that Jeff Mayweather can see a fight between Mayweather Jr. and Pacquiao is 2013 at the earliest.
Jeff doesn’t say why he feels this way, but it’s pretty easy to guess why when you see Arum talking about wanting his fighter Pacquiao to take the WADA blood tests for the Mayweather fight, while Mayweather wants the USADA to do the testing. That right there is almost like saying you don’t want the fight, because Arum should know that Mayweather believes that the USADA is the one that should be overseeing the testing for performance enhancing drugs, not some other agency.
Arum thinks that the WADA should do the testing while Pacquiao is in the Philippines training for the Mayweather fight, and Mayweather can be tested by the USADA in the U.S. This would be two different testing agencies conducting the tests. Floyd Mayweather Sr already said that isn’t going to fly, and that if Pacquiao wants to fight Mayweather Jr, he’s going to have to stay in the United States during the training camp so that he can be tested by the USADA just like Mayweather.
Jeff said this to fighthype.com: “I think he [Mayweather] will be fighting one another in a couple of years. I think that’s being realistic because I think the fight that’s out there will take that long to materialize.”
I don’t even know if it will happen then, because as long as Arum is talking about Pacquiao being tested by WADA instead of the USADA, and training outside of the U.S, it’s going to make it all but impossible to put the fight together.
- Pretty Boy vs. Kid Dynamite: Mayweather against Tyson, in their Primes
- Adrien Broner says he’d get $100 Million fighting Mayweather right now
- Manny Pacquiao expected to fight exhibition in 2023 for Rizin
- Floyd Mayweather reacts to Tank Davis leaving Mayweather Promotions
- Anthony Joshua vs. Jermaine Franklin could be PPV says Eddie Hearn
- Andy Ruiz has experience edge against Deontay Wilder says Michael Hunter
- Eddie Hearn says Dmitry Bivol vs. Artur Beterbiev doesn’t have casual fan reach yet
- Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk targeted for April 29th for undisputed heavyweight championship