Is Audley Harrison too dangerous for Tyson Fury?
By William Mackay: Undefeated British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion Tyson Fury (15-0, 10 KO’s) has seemed mixed up in who to choose for him next fight since beating Dereck Chisora for the British and Commonwealth titles recently. Fury, 23, has been eyeing a 40-year-old Martin Rogan, and some little known guys like Neven Pajick and Coleman Barrett.
I think those are really bad choices and it’s hard to take Fury seriously as a fighter with him dropping down a level after the Chisora win. Fury looked good in that fight, and showed that he’s ready for better opposition. I don’t get the desire to fight scrubs. Fury should have progressed beyond that level with the Chisora win. One fighter who has shown interest in Fury is Audley Harrison (27-5, 20 KO’s).
Before anyone laughs, I think the 6’6″ Harrison would be a better choice than an old guy like Rogan if the objective is for Fury to get ready for the Klitschkos and to try and make a name for himself. If Fury fights Rogan or Coleman Barrett, do you think anyone cares? It’s a waste of a fight. Fury needs to fight Harrison, because he can learn something from that fight.
But the fact that Fury hasn’t shown keen interest in taking that fight makes me wonder if Harrison is considered too much of a threat to him because of his punching power? Harrison is dangerous because of his powerful left hand, and if you don’t have anything to take him out with than he can be a problem. Fury is a good fighter but he isn’t a huge puncher. If he can’t hurt Harrison, he could in turn get knocked out. I guess this is why his management hasn’t been jumping all over the Harrison fight because this clearly a much better fight than taking on obscure fighters like Rogan and Barrett.
More Boxing News:
- Hearn goes off on Wilder’s expired fight with Tyson Fury
- Eddie Hearn: Tyson Fury should fight Michael Hunter on Dec.5
- Michael Hunter volunteers for Tyson Fury fight, expects him to face Kabayel or Ajagba
- Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell possible for afternoon on Dec.5th
- Fury avoids dangerous Wilder, in a business decision
- Let’s be honest about Vasily Lomachenko
- Lomachenko has undergone shoulder surgery following loss to Teofimo Lopez
- Lomachenko vs. Lopez peaked at around 3 million viewers on ESPN
- Dave Allen needs new opponent, Christian Hammer tests for COVID 19
- Teofimo Lopez – Bob Arum lists options for his next fight in 2021