Brandon Rios vs. Kevin Mitchell a possibility for December 10th
By William Mackay: WBA World lightweight champion Brandon Rios (28-0-1, 21 KO’s) is reportedly looking to fight on December 10th against possibly Britain’s Kevin Mitchell (32-1, 24 KO’s). Rios, 25, was previously being mentioned for a fight on the undercard of the Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Marquez undercard on November 12th, but instead may choose to fight on Showtime on December 10th, according to RingTV.
Showtime has agreed to airing Rios’ fight on the 10th of December according to Rios’ manager Cameron Dunkin. However, the opponent still needs to be ironed out. They want the 26-year-old Mitchell, who is ranked No.4 in the The Ring’s ranking for lightweights.
Mitchell recently stopped John Murray in the 8th round last July in the first fight for Mitchell in over a year since being knocked out by Michael Katsidis last year in May. Katsidis is also interested in fighting Mitchell again, but he doesn’t have a title like Rios in his possession.
That could make him less appealing compared to Rios. A fight between Rios and Mitchell will most likely be a mismatch. Mitchell can dish out okay but he looks uncomfortable when he’s met with steady resistance. The one time he stepped it up against a really good fighter in Katsidis, Mitchell was destroyed.
A better option for Rios would be against Paulus Moses, Mercito Gesta, Pablo Cesar Cano, Darley Perez, Richard Abil or a rematch against Miguel Acosta. Those are sturdy fighters and we could potentially see a fight that would go past the 3rd round. Mitchell will likely fold by the 2nd if pressed hard by Rios.
More Boxing News:
- Brandon Rios retiring says Robert Garcia
- Brandon Rios congratulates Humberto Soto for win
- Humberto Soto defeats Brandon Rios – RESULTS
- Brandon Rios vs. Humberto Soto – weigh-in results
- Brandon Rios – Humberto Soto on Saturday – Where and How To Watch
- Keith Thurman ready to fight behind-closed doors
- Mike Tyson looking chiseled training for exhibition
- Manny Pacquiao reacts to Floyd Mayweather calling him an “OLD man”
- Gervonta Davis WARNS Ryan Garcia that he’ll slap him
- Mayweather could have ended Canelo’s career – Mauricio Sulaiman