Roach doesn’t want Khan to fight Morales, prefers Bradley
By Dan Ambrose: If Freddie Roach has his way, IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan won’t be facing 34-year-old Erik Morales the next time Khan fights in December. Khan destroyed 33-year-old Zab Judah last weekend in a 5th round stoppage in Las Vegas.
Khan’s promoter Richard Schaefer would like to match Khan up with WBC/WBO light welterweight champion Timothy Bradley next, but Bradley is going through litigation with his promoter and it’s unclear when that problem will be taken care of. Roach would prefer that Khan take on Bradley as well. But Bradley doesn’t seem eager to take the fight at this time.
Morales lost his last fight to Marcos Maidana, and gave a good account of himself in losing. But he still lost and that’s not a good thing for Khan to be facing someone who suffered a recent loss. But more importantly, Morales has a fight lined up against Anthony Crolla on September 12th, and it’s unlikely that Morales will be able to come back quickly from a September fight against Crolla to then fight Khan in December.
It’s possible, but not likely unless he destroys Crolla. That’s probably not going to happen because Morales has really lost a lot of speed in recent years. Morales would have problems coming back quickly anyway because he’s going to want to recover from the fight with Crolla, and he’ll need time to get prepared for Khan. Ideally, Schaefer needs to find a younger more relevant opponent for Khan rather than picking out a fading star like Morales.
Khan supposedly could end up fighting the winner of the Robert Guerrero vs. Marcos Maidana fight. However, if Maidana ends up as the winner of that fight you can forget that. Khan won’t fight him and his promoter Schaefer likely won’t push for that fight because of how close Khan came to getting knocked out by Maidana last December. They’re not going to put Khan back in with someone that gave Khan a real pounding – not with a big money fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr just around the corner in 2012.
More Boxing News:
- Khan says Canelo Alvarez’s gloves have little padding in knuckle area
- Khan picks Terence Crawford to beat Errol Spence
- Amir Khan to fight in summertime
- George Foreman offers Deontay Wilder to spend 2-4 weeks visiting him
- Tim Bradley prediction: Deontay Wilder STOPS Tyson Fury
- Mike Tyson: ‘Deontay Wilder wasn’t the same fighter in rematch”
- Tonight, WATCH Deontay Wilder battle Tyson Fury 2 on FS1
- Terence Crawford could face Kell Brook next
- Badou Jack now being trained by Johnathon Banks
- Demetrius Andrade to defend against Liam Williams next