Khan working on movement for Judah bout
By Jason Kim: In watching World Boxing Association (WBA) light welterweight champion Amir Khan (25-1, 17 Ko’s) work out with trainer Freddie Roach one thing that really jumps out at you is how much movement Khan is using with Roach. Khan is literally moving to the point where he’s out of breath and losing steam on his flurries.
This may not be the best idea for a fight against International Boxing Federation (IBF) light welterweight champion Zab Judah on July 23. Khan needs to attack more in this fight and run less. But the fact that Roach has Khan running around the ring suggests that they’re worried about Judah’s power. Khan has a weak chin and Judah likely has Roach worried.
Khan ran a lot in his win against Marcos Maidana last year, but he was unable to keep it up for the full 12 rounds. Khan ran out of gas and was hurt by Maidana late in the fight. Khan looked equally exhausted in his last fight against little known Paul McCloskey. Khan attacked more in that fight and threw a lot of wild flurries without much aim to them. Most of the shots badly missed and by the 6th round, Khan was huffing and puffing and looked spent.
Judah is looking a lot better in his workouts recently, punching with better mechanics and looking quicker. Judah isn’t practicing on running around the ring. Instead, he’s working on getting underneath the jab and moving in close to land his power shots. Judah may have to work more on cutting off the ring to corner Khan and force him to fight it out.
More Boxing News:
- Zab Judah: Teofimo is hungry, will give Lomachenko big problems
- Zab Judah talks Devin Haney vs. Gary Russell Jr squabbles
- Amir Khan says Terence Crawford can beat Floyd Mayweather
- Amir Khan says Kell Brook doesn’t want to fight him
- Errol Spence Jr vs. Danny Garcia is 50-50 fight says Amir Khan
- Oleksandr Usyk ready to “explode” against Dereck Chisora on Saturday
- Dave Allen taking risky fight against Christopher Lovejoy on Saturday
- VIDEO: Floyd is Right – Too many belts in Boxing
- Opinion: PPVs and Subscriptions – The Cost of Consuming Boxing
- Kell Brook – The Last Dance!