Donaire could be stripped of his WBC title: Does it really matter?
By Dan Ambrose: WBC/WBO bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire (26-1, 18 KO’s) has until August 19th to defend his World Boxing Council title or else he’ll be stripped of the title by the WBC, according to the latest boxing news. Donaire captured the WBC title in February with a 2nd round knockout win over Fernando Montiel. However, because of promotional issues, Donaire has been out of the since then trying to work his problems.
Donaire is reportedly ready to start fighting again and he will soon be announcing his next fight. Donaire will likely take on another bantamweight like Anselmo Moreno or super bantamweight Jorge Arce. Donaire plans on moving up in weight to super bantamweight to seek out better fights and another world title at this third weight class. Other than Arce, the super bantamweight division has no real stars at that weight.
Donaire will have to move up in weight to the featherweight division if he wants to find some big money fights against the likes of Juan Manuel Lopez, Yuriorkis Gamboa and Chris John. Those are the three top fighters at featherweight. Donaire probably would be in over his head against Gamboa, but Lopez and John are both beatable fighters that Donaire could possibly handle if he’s able to keep his power in moving up. But it’s clear that Donaire will be limiting himself if he stays at bantamweight or stays for any time at super bantamweight. There’s just nobody that and the casual boxing fans in the United States don’t have much interest in those weight classes. We saw a lukewarm response to Showtime’s recent bantamweight tourney.
More Boxing News:
- Nonito Donaire motivated for ‘The Takeover’ at 118
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire on May 16 on Showtime
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire WBC purse bid won by TGB Promotions
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire purse bid scheduled for Jan.21 at WBC headquarters
- WBC orders Nordine Oubaali to defend 118-lb title against Nonito Donaire
- David Benavidez 2.8 pounds overweight, loses WBC title for Roamer Angulo fight
- Porter analyzes Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia, expects to fight the winner
- VIDEO: Featherweights – Boxing Survey Series Part 3
- Teofimo Lopez to be made ‘Franchise champion’ if he beats Vasiliy Lomachenko
- Andy Ruiz Jr. and Chris Arreola have agreed to fight in late 2020