Hopkins says he’ll fight Dawson next
By Dan Ambrose: Rather than trying to sidestep the highly skilled former IBF/WBC light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson (30-1, 17 KO’s), 46-year-old Bernard Hopkins (52-5-2, 32 KO’s) says he’s going to take the fight and honor the agreement with Dawson. The two fighters’ camp are reportedly in talks for a fight in the fall. Dawson easily beat Adrian Diacunu by a lopsided 12 round decision last weekend while fighting on the undercard of the Hopkins vs. Jean Pascal fight. Hopkins defeated Pascal by a 12 round decision.
Dawson presents a tough fight for Hopkins because of Dawson’s speed and boxing skills. He’s hard to hit and with his 6’3″ height, southpaw stance and excellent jab, he’s going to make it tough for Hopkins to fight his usual inside fight. Hopkins has been able to get off first with his opponents and then get in close to maul them, but Dawson tends to time his opponents and catch them as they’re coming in. Hopkins might have a hard time fighting his style of fight against Dawson. This isn’t a guy that fights on the inside and whole moves well.
What makes Dawson a hard fight for Hopkins is that Dawson has the speed of Pascal but doesn’t tire out after only four rounds like Pascal usually does. In both fights with Pascal, Hopkins had problems with Pascal’s speed and punches during the first four rounds. If Dawson continues to fight hard for an entire fight, Hopkins may find himself tasting defeat again. Dawson is bigger than Joe Calzaghe, the last fighter to beat Hopkins, and more powerful than him. Dawson could be a nightmare for Hopkins and make him look his age.
More Boxing News:
- Bernard Hopkins predicts Joshua KOs Fury late
- Bernard Hopkins says Ryan Garcia vs. Gervonta Davis is the fight to make NOW
- Bernard Hopkins: Roy Jones Jr. beats Andre Ward
- Ryan Garcia vs Tank Davis happens soon – Bernard Hopkins
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Jermall Charlo being HYPED by Bernard Hopkins
- Mikey Garcia says he’s fighting Manny Pacquiao next 100%, not Conor McGregor
- Hearn names 4 options for Saunders on Nov.28: Chudinov, Murray, Fielding & Ryder
- Boxing History: Charley Burley
- Shawn Porter: Demetrius Andrade beats Jermall Charlo
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?