Arum says Cotto in the running for a future Pacquiao rematch if he beats Margarito
By Dan Amrbrose: WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (36-2, 29 KO’s) could be in the running for a rematch with Manny Pacquiao if Cotto looks good in beating Antonio Margarito (38-7, 27 KO’s) in their rematch on September 17th. Bob Arum, who promotes all three of those fighters, recently mentioned that Cotto could help earn a rematch with Pacquiao if he beats Margarito. However, Pacquaio has to win his next fight against the nearly 40-year-old Shane Mosley next month on May 7th, and then possibly a fight against Juan Manuel Marquez or whoever that Arum finds next to put in with Pacquiao.
There are only so many opponent that are worth matching Pacquiao up with at this point. One of the potential fighters that boxing fans had been talking about, Andre Berto, was beaten last week by Victor Ortiz, so this takes Berto out of the running for at least a fight or two. It doesn’t take Berto out of the running permanently, because Pacquiao has been matched up against fighters recently that were coming off of losses, like Joshua Clottey, or coming off of recent defeats like Antonio Margarito and Cotto were.
It’s now been two years since Cotto was totally dominated in a 12th round knockout defeat by Pacquiao. Perhaps enough fans have forgotten about that defeat for Arum to sell the Cotto-Pacquiao 2 rematch to the public. It’s hard to see the fight being any different than the first one because Cotto still looks vulnerable but there are probably enough boxing fans out there willing to scoop up this fight to make it yet another successful pay-per-view bout for Arum.
More Boxing News:
- Pacquiao tests negative for COVID 19; Mikey Garcia wants to fight him
- Malignaggi discusses Spence, Pacquiao vs. Garcia & Thurman vs. Porter
- Tonight: WATCH 5 hours of Top Rank Boxing on ESPN2
- Bob Arum: Pacquiao is an OLD man, leave him alone
- Danny Garcia: Spence or Pacquiao fights can happen this summer
- Malignaggi: ‘They did Golovkin DIRTY in first 2 Canelo fights’
- Joshua could fight Ruiz a third time – Hearn
- Brook: ‘I’m the guy to beat Crawford’
- Caleb Plant looking sharp training
- Canelo vs. BJ Saunders not likely to happen