Poor Chisora, now he doesn’t get to fight Wladimir
By Scott Gilfoid: Some people have the worst luck. British heavyweight Dereck Chisora (14-0, 9 KO’s) worked out feverishly for the past couple of months to get his big shot at a heavyweight title against IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (55-3, 49 KO’s) and now with today’s news that Wladimir has injured his back and won’t be able to fight for as much six weeks, it looks like Chisora is out of luck for a title fight. This is got to hurt. Chisora was so close to getting a title shot and now look what happened. Maybe it was fate.
There’s talk already that Wladimir will bypass the Chisora fight and will start negotiating a fight with WBA heavyweight champion David Haye instead. Oh boy, this is bad for Chisora. He really wanted to fight Wladimir I bet. Maybe Chisora can find a nice British replacement opponent for him to fight on short notice. There’s got to be someone for him to fight, but unfortunately not anyone that will give him the kind of payday he would have gotten for a fight against Wladimir. I wonder if this will the closest that Chisora will get towards fighting for a major title? It happens. But at least he can go back to the UK and fight some of the domestic level opposition. And who knows, he can maybe step it up to the European level and try his luck there.
I wonder if this is some kind of evil fate rearing it’s ugly head. With all the trash talking Chisora was doing during his press conferences with Wladimir, he now doesn’t get to fight him. Maybe he should have been kissing Wladimir’s backside instead, thanking him for giving him the opportunity to fight for the title.
More Boxing News:
- Oleksandr Usyk vs. Dereck Chisora on DAZN & Sky Box Office Pay-Per-View on Oct.31
- Usyk vs. Chisora Confirmed For October 31!
- Chisora responds to Usyk while taking body shots from David Haye
- Oleksandr Usyk: “Dereck Chisora, I’m coming for you”
- Eddie Hearn close to getting Usyk vs. Chisora done for October 31st
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?
- Teofimo warns Lomachenko: ‘I’m putting hands on you on October 17th’
- Mairis Briedis considering a move to heavyweight
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet
- Jeison Rosario message after knockout loss to Jermell Charlo