Hopkins says he exposed Pascal and ruined his next fight with Chad Dawson
By Dan Ambrose: 45-year-old Bernard Hopkins (51-5-2, 32 KO’s) is still living in ecstasy about 12 round majority draw he got against WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal (26-1-1, 16 KO’s) on December 18th at the Pepsi Coliseum, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. Instead of seeing it as a case where he failed to beat Pascal, Hopkins is acting as if he won a clear cut decision. He’s obviously focusing on the general fan reaction from the fight, because many of them saw Hopkins as the winner of the bout. I don’t agree.
I thought Hopkins came up short after getting knocked down twice and not winning enough rounds to really prove that he’s the better fighter. If Hopkins could have stayed on his feet instead of getting dropped again and again, I would agree that he deserved to win, but that’s not what happened.
In an interview at eastsideboxing.com, Hopkins said “What I did is just expose Pascal and ruin the Chad Dawson [Pascal’s next opponent] and Pascal fight because TV isn’t going to want to buy that mess. You have two losers fighting each other. For what?”
I think HBO will go for the Dawson-Pascal fight without any qualms about it. That’s an exciting fight because it won’t be a bout that will be filled with clinching and flopping around on the canvas. Both Pascal and Dawson have excellent hand speed and I think it’s going to be a great fight. I don’t see the point of the winner of that fight wasting their time with Hopkins. Let him fight someone else. Those guys should just do their own thing and focus on beating the best opponents available. Hopkins had his chance but blew it by getting knocked down twice. To me, he should go back to the end of the line and work his way to a title shot by beating someone good.
More Boxing News:
- Bernard Hopkins predicts Joshua KOs Fury late
- Bernard Hopkins says Ryan Garcia vs. Gervonta Davis is the fight to make NOW
- Bernard Hopkins: Roy Jones Jr. beats Andre Ward
- Ryan Garcia vs Tank Davis happens soon – Bernard Hopkins
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Jermall Charlo being HYPED by Bernard Hopkins
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Devin Haney will clear out 135 & 140-lb divisions says Mickey Bey
- Canelo Alvarez: Who will he fight next on September 12th?
- Oscar De La Hoya frustrated with Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell negotiations
- Roy Jones Jr looking sharp in training for Mike Tyson