HBO interested in Klitschko-Adamek or Klitschko-Haye bouts
By Matt Stein: HBO isn’t currently showing either of the Klitschko brothers fights on their network, because they’re tired of showing the brothers beat up over-matched opponents in one-sided fights that leave boxing fans less than impressed. However, Dan Rafael of ESPN interview Ross Greenburg, HBO’s Sports President earlier today, and Greenburg said that he’s open to showing the Klitschkos fights provided that its’ against popular heavyweights like David Haye and Tomasz Adamek. Greenburg doesn’t have any interest in showing the Klitschko brothers against American heavyweights because the U.S. doesn’t have anyone that can compete with the Klitschko brothers right now.
But Greenburg would be interested in seeing the Klitschko brothers face Haye or Adamek, saying “We’re always thinking about a Vitali or Wladimir fight. If a Haye fight materializes over there, we’ll be there. If there’s an Adamek fight in the United States, we could create a heck of an event in the New York metro area. But it doesn’t make any sense to put a six hour tape delay of a mismatch on HBO from Germany….If any of these big fights materialize, we will be there, and they know it.”
You can’t blame Greenburg for not wanting to waste valuable HBO money on watching the Klitschko brothers beat up the likes of Samuel Peter, Chris Arreola, and Dereck Chisora. Those are fights that are hopelessly one-sided and not something that will be entertaining for boxing fans. However, Greenburg may not know this yet, but the Klitschkos against Haye and Adamek are just as one-sided (if not more) fights as the Klitschko brothers against guys like Peter, Arreola and Chisora.
Adamek and Haye will likely be taken out fast by either brothers because of their lack of size at heavyweight and their shaky chins. Hopefully, Greenburg doesn’t totally turned off after seeing Adamek or Haye blown out by one of the brothers and then decided he doesn’t want to take a chance in showing the other fighter against the klitschkos. Adamek and Haye or decent heavyweights, but totally unproven at heavyweight and they haven’t been looking all that impressive against the older fighters that they’ve matched against.
More Boxing News:
- Wladimir Klitschko coming back? promoter Tom Loeffler wants him to
- Mike Tyson, Andre Ward, Anthony Joshua & more Showtime Classics in June
- Evander Holyfield training with Wladimir Klitschko
- Chisora: Wladimir Klitschko CAN’T help Usyk inside the ring
- Banks recalls Wladimir Klitschko letting Anthony Joshua off the hook
- Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 being moved to February 2021
- Danny Garcia beats Errol Spence predicts Jaron Ennis’ coach Acosta
- Jorge Linares tests positive for coronavirus
- Fury vs. Wilder 3 must face mandatory Whyte says WBC president
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154