Pacquaio vs. Margarito: Where the fight will be won and lost
By Dallan O’Donnell: Pound for pound king Manny Pacquaio takes on Antonio Margarito next month but where will the battle be won and lost? Manny’s focus has been questioned of late but he is a boxer first congressman second and I would be very surprised to see Margarito come away with any sort of victory. Margarito is a very one dimensional fighter and comes forward in straight lines, using his power and size advantage on several occasions to win fights. If he follows Manny around the ring he will take punishment and lots of it. In Margarito’s fight with Paul Williams, Margarito was hit hard and often but continued to chase Williams instead of cutting the ring off and picking his punches he subsequently lost the fight and his WBO welterweight belt.
If he adopts the same tactics against Pacquaio it will be the same result but a potential knockout victory for Manny. I can’t see this bout last more than 8 rounds and the only outcome I can see is a Pacquaio victory. Pacquaio has a huge speed advantage and his footwork will be important with a right hook being a potential fight winner. He may adopt the same tactics that saw him destroy Oscar de la hoya – straight left hands and ducking out of the way with combinations being thrown towards the end of the fight when Margarito’s spirit has been broken. Margarito could think he has a power advantage over Manny which will not be the case we have seen the explosive power Manny posses.
The only real blueprint we have to judge both fighters on is the Miguel Cotto victories. Both destroyed the Puerto Rican but Manny’s victory was far more impressive as his victory was not shrouded in controversy like the Margarito victory was with him stuffing his gloves with excess plaster. If I was a betting man I would have to pick round 8 for Manny to close the show and add another name to his already impressive hall of fame status.
More Boxing News:
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- Manny Pacquiao adviser hints Mikey Garcia next for him
- Floyd Mayweather: Pacquiao fights because he has to, I fight because I want to
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Devin Haney will clear out 135 & 140-lb divisions says Mickey Bey