Holmes out as Tyson Fury’s opponent on 9/10
By Sean McDaniel: Unbeaten heavyweight Tyson Fury (11-0, 9 KO’s) needs another opponent for his September 10h fight at the York Hall, in Bethnal Green, as his replacement opponent American Donnell Holmes has pulled out of the fight, according to boxing news from Dan Rafael of ESPN. This is the 6’7” Fury’s second opponent that has pulled out of the 9/10 card. Fury, 22, was originally planned to fight American Jason Gavern in an 8 round bout on that date.
However, Gavern pulled out for some unknown reason. For fans of Fury, this can be seen as a sign that some boxers are hesitant to get in the ring with him. However, the likely case is those two fighters had something come up and just couldn’t make the fight. With very little time left before the September 10th fight date, Fury will be incredibly fortunate if a decent opponent can be found by this late date.
Fury defeated John McDermott in his last fight in June, stopping McDermott in the 9th round. This was the second time that Fury had fought McDermott. However, he still didn’t look good even in victory, as Fury ran out of gas early in the fight and looked sloppy and incredibly amateurish. He wants to take on top British heavyweights like Derek Chisora and Sam Sexton, but with the way that Fury is fighting now, he would likely have big problems against either of those two guys.
Right now they appear to be fighting at higher level than Fury. They may not have Fury’s size and reach, but they look much more professional and have better conditioning than the lanky Fury. What Fury may need is a top American trainer like Emanuel Steward or Freddie Roach to get the most out of his body. However, it seems unlikely that Fury will ever make that move.
More Boxing News:
- BT Sports Crushes Tyson Fury Glove-gate
- Bob Arum has reserved Allegiant Stadium in Vegas for Fury vs. Wilder 3
- Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 on December 19
- Joshua vs. Fury will need to be PPV on DAZN says Eddie Hearn
- Hearn wants Deontay to step aside to let Whyte face Fury
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback
- Chris Eubank Jr: I’m looking to DESTROY Canelo
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Eubank Jr gives his theory on WHY Saunders didn’t take Canelo Alvarez fight
- Emanuel Navarrete wants Naoya Inoue, believes he’ll beat him