Hayemaker makes counter offer for Groves vs. DeGale bout
By William Mackay: Adam Booth, the trainer and manager for Hayemaker Boxing Promotions, has made a counter offer to super middleweight James DeGale’s promoter Frank Warren today, according to news from the Telegraph.co.uk. Booth thinks there’s a bigger purse available than what was offered by Warren on Monday. Booth says “I can assure everybody that we are determined to make this fight become a reality and are doing everything in our power to bring George Groves and James DeGale together before the end of 2010.” Warren wants the fight between his fighter DeGale and Groves to take place in December.
There are more than a few fans who think that Groves and Hayemaker will duck this fight due to the risk involved in fighting a slick boxer like 2008 Olympic Gold Medalist DeGale. Groves is a good fighter with sharp skills, but DeGale is incredibly hard to fight, because he can do all the things that Groves can do, but he has an added element of movement, different fighting angles, better speed and better defensive ability. You have to wonder whether Booth will come up with an excuse about DeGale wanting too much money or some other reason why the fight can’t happen.
This would allow Groves to continue beating Grigor Sarohanian and Charles Adamu without the risk of having his perfect unbeaten record marred by a loss to DeGale. Groves previously beat DeGale in the amateur ranks, but that was in a four round fight with head gear. It’s a whole different matter in the pro ranks, and DeGale looks like the better fighter right now.
More Boxing News:
- George Groves comments on Tyson Fury’s glove controversy
- Groves picks Wilder to beat Fury in rematch
- George Groves: ‘Joshua should take Ruiz Jr. rematch right away’
- Ricky Hatton, Tyson Fury and George Groves discuss Dubois vs Gorman fight
- Froch says he’d have smashed DeGale to bits
- Andy Lee: Tyson Fury mentally BREAKS Anthony Joshua and stops him
- Mayweather & Haney working out on mitts; Tank Davis still a problem
- Luis Ortiz fighting in August or September, wants Mike Tyson
- Errol Spence GLOATING on taking Keith Thurman’s spot at the top of 147 lb division
- Gervonta Davis days with Mayweather Promotions could be numbered