HBO Looking to put Together a Light Welterweight Tournament – News
By Lian Santiago: Sources from fighthype have announced that HBO are currently working on putting together a ‘super six’ type boxing tournament at light welterweight. The tournament would feature Victor Ortiz, Marcos Maidana, Devon Alexander and Amir Khan. Although nothing is official, the rumor is that representatives of all fighters have been informed. Although a tournament at 140 pounds is a great idea, it could be so much greater than this.
Firstly, neither of these are the best light welterweights in the world. Amir Khan is well of world class stature and Victor Ortiz has recently quit against Maidana. Secondly, why only four? That’s not a tournament. The winner will only have fought two bouts. Six or eight would make sense. I could not see Amir Khan entering into a tournament involving more than four boxers. What about the likes of Ricky Hatton, Timothy Bradley, Juan Marquez, Junior Witter, Paulie Maliganggi and Lamont Peterson.
The main thing to point out here is that this is the most talented division in boxing right now. So why only have four in a ‘tournament’. That is boring and too easy to win. If that was to happen I would see Khan getting stopped early, in his first bout against Maidana and Devon Alexander beating Victor Ortiz. So your final would be Alexander vs Maidana. Bullsp*t. They are not the best light welter’s. Get Hatton in, get Marquez, get Bradley in.
Also, I do not see why Amir Khan is worthy of fighting in such a tournament. He was destroyed in about half a minute by Breidis Prescott, who for some strange reason is ranked way behind Khan in the rankings (if you cant beat a guy, your not better than them, no matter how much boxing skill you have), so why not involve Prescott.
More Boxing News:
- Is Amir Khan vs. Kell Brook still a ‘BIG’ fight?
- Amir Khan vs. Kell Brook: Is this a cash-out fight?
- Kell Brook agrees to face Amir Khan in 2021
- Amir Khan vs. Kell Brook should take place in Pakistan, says Davies
- Vergil Ortiz Jr vs. Maurice Hooker moving to March 20th
- Canelo Alvarez a massive 20 to 1 favorite over Avni Yildirim
- Mikey Garcia open to fighting Devin Haney, wants Hearn to call him
- Ryan Garcia finalizing his huge “mega-fight” this week