World Boxing Finals – Cammerelle, Lomachenko & Valentino emerge Victorious
By Bernard O’Neill: Hosts Italy and Russia claimed double gold as the 15th AIBA World Senior Boxing Championships concluded in Milan this afternoon. Dominico Valentino and Olympic champion Robert Cammerelle sent the home crowd into raptures with top of the podium finishes in the lightweight and heavyweight Divisions at the Mediolanum Forum.
Mongolia meanwhile, won its first gold at this level courtesy of Serdamba Purevdorji’s 10-5 win over David Ayrapetyan of Russia.
Flyweight McWilliams Arryoyo bridged a 35 year gap since Puerto Rico last won WC gold with the biggest win of the day, an 18-2 verdict over Tugstsogt Nyambayar, a decision which denied the Mongolians their second win on the bounce.
There were wins also for Detelin Dalakiev of Bulgaria and Raniel Iglesia Sotolongo of Cuba, who out-pointed 17 year old Frankie Gomez of the USA 8-2.
German welterweight Jack Keth-Culcay produced one of the upsets of the day with a 7-4 win over Andrey Zamkovoy of Russia, while Uzbekistani middleweight Abbos Atoev was far too strong for Armenia’s Andranik Hakoyban, winning 9-0.
Arthur Beterbiev and Egor Mekhontsev resurrected Russian fortunes following four straight losses with a double gold strike in the light heavyweight and heavyweight categories.
15th AIBA World Senior Championships Finals Mediolanum Forum Milan, Italy September 13th.
48Kg: (Light flyweight) Serdamba Purevdorj (Mongolia) beat David Ayrapetyan (Russia) 10-5
51Kg: (Flyweight) McWilliams Arroyo (Puerto Rico) beat Tugstsogt Nyambayar (Mongolia) 18-2
54Kg: (Bantamweight) Detelin Dalakiev (Bulgaria) beat Eduard Abzalimov (Russia) 5-3
57Kg: (Featherweight) Vasyl Lomachenko (Ukraine) beat Sergey Vodopiyanov (Russia) 12-1
60Kg: (Lightweight) Dominico Valentino (Italy) beat Jose Pedraza (Puerto Rico) 9-4
64Kg: (Light welterweight) Raniel Iglesias Sotolongo (Cuba) beat Frankie Gomez (USA)
69Kg: (Welterweight) Jack Keth-Culcay (Germany) beat Andrey Zamkovoy (Russia) 7-4
75Kg: (Middleweight) Abbos Atoev (Uzbekistan) beat Andranik Hakobyan (Armenia) 9-0
81Kg: (Light heavyweight) Arthur Beterbiev (Russia) beat Elshod Rasulov (Uzbekistan) 13-10
91Kg: (Heavyweight) Egor Mekhontsev (Russia) beat Osmai Duarte Acosta (Cuba) 12-2
91+Kg: Super heavyweight) Roberto Cammarelle (Italy) beat Roman Kapitonenko (Ukraine) 10-5
More Boxing News:
- Cammarelle turning pro after controversial loss to Joshua
- Cammarelle: It was an injustice!
- Audley Harrison looked better winning his gold than Anthony Joshua did in winning his medal
- Is Joshua’s gold medal victory tainted?
- Cammarelle deserved to get the gold medal, not Joshua
- Joshua knows Usyk is a real threat to him says Oleksandr’s co-promoter
- Jaime Munguia vs. Tureano Johnson – preview & prediction for Oct.30
- ESPN ranks Terence Crawford #1 pound-for-pound, above Errol Spence
- Eddie Hearn blew chance to ink Tyson Fury in 2017
- Gary Russell Jr wants Miguel Berchelt at 130, asks WBC to order fight