World welterweight champion Miguel Cotto, looking fit and trim, came in at 157 pounds today in San Juan for his 30-day pre-fight weigh-in. Cotto was far under the limit for this date and said he is anxious to take on Sugar Shane Mosley at Madison Square Garden in New York City on Nov. 10. “I am very satisfied with all of my training and work we have done so far,” Cotto said. “There is no doubt I will be in my best-ever condition on November 10..”
“Cotto is working very hard in Puerto Rico,” said Bob Arum of Top Rank. “He is excited, as are all of us at Top Rank.”
Cotto, 30-0 with 25 knockouts, plans to train in Puerto Rico until November 2, when he and his team will head to New York City. Cotto’s uncle, Evangelista Cotto, is the chief trainer.
Arum called the Cotto vs Mosley undercard “the best ever,” with former world welterweight champion Antonio Margarito taking on Golden Johnson, interim lightweight champion Joel Casamayor facing Jose Armando Santa-Cruz and junior welterweight phenom Victor Ortiz matched up against former world champion Carlos Maussa.
“These are compelling, significant fights,” Arum said. “It’s the best undercard we have ever put together.”
Golden Boy and Top Rank are promoting ‘Fast & Furious’ featuring Cotto vs. Mosley at Madison Square Garden on November 10. Cotto vs. Mosley will be available on HBO Pay Per View.
‘FAST & FURIOUS!” – COTTO vs MOSLEY
“Fast & Furious” is the only way to describe this epic rumble between two of boxing’s top pound for pound superstars — undefeated WBA world welterweight champion MIGUEL COTTO and four-time world champion SUGAR SHANE MOSLEY. Promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and Top Rank, in association with Madison Square Garden, “Fast & Furious” will take place Saturday, November 10, at the “Mecca of Boxing,” Madison Square Garden. The 12-round world welterweight title fight will be produced and distributed live on HBO Pay-Per-View, beginning at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT.
An exciting undercard and ticket information will be announced at a later date.
Cotto (30-0, 25 KOs), of Caguas, Puerto Rico, has headlined at the ‘Mecca of Boxing’ on the eve of New York’s annual National Puerto Rican Day Parade the last three years. On June 9, in front of a capacity crowd of over 20,500, Cotto, 26, knocked out two-division world champion Zab Judah to retain his title and improve his Garden record to 3-0.
“I am very excited to be returning to Madison Square Garden and I will be completely prepared for the biggest fight of my career,” said Cotto. “Shane is a great fighter but he will not be the better fighter on November 10. I will be leaving the ring the same way I will be entering it – undefeated and still world champion.”
A man who needs no introduction to fight fans is three-division world champion Sugar Shane Mosley, 35, (44-4, 37 KO’s), from Pomona, Calif., who is firmly established as one of the greatest fighters of this era, having defeated Oscar de la Hoya and Fernando Vargas twice each, as well as world champions Phillip Holiday, Raul Marquez, Jesse James Leija and John John Molina. Most recently, Mosley decisioned Luis Collazo for the WBC Interim Welterweight title and plans on adding the WBA Welterweight belt to his collection this fall.
“Cotto is a great fighter, but so am I, and we’re going to light up the Garden on November 10,” said Mosley. “I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited for a fight. I can’t wait to get in the ring and get it on.”
“The welterweight division is the most exciting in boxing today and when two great champions like Miguel Cotto and Sugar Shane Mosley agree to fight each other, you virtually guarantee the fans an amazing fight,” said Oscar de la Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions.
Added Bob Arum of Top Rank, “We are looking forward to this fight which we truly believe will be one of the greatest boxing events of the year.”
“Cotto-Mosley is a must-see match-up between two of the best fighters in the sport today,” said Mark Taffet of HBO Pay-Per-View. “For the young champion Cotto, it is the signature fight that could launch him to superstardom. And for the future Hall of Famer Mosley, it’s the most important fight since his battles with Oscar De La Hoya.”
The Garden is a home away from home for both fighters as both Cotto and Mosley have been headliners in the historic building three times each. Mosley fought his Garden battles scoring TKO wins over Eduardo Morales in 1998 and Antonio Diaz in 2000 before losing his welterweight title to Vernon Forrest in a hard-fought decision in 2002. Cotto was the main event at the Garden when he stopped Mohammad Abdullaev in 2005, scored a decision win over Paul Malignaggi in 2006 and most recently, his thrilling stoppage of Zab Judah earlier this summer.
“A fight of this proportion deserves The World’s Most Famous Arena,” said Joel Fisher, Sr. VP Madison Square Garden Sports Properties. “Madison Square Garden has a rich tradition of hosting historic championship bouts and Cotto versus Mosley will undoubtedly add to the arena’s legacy.”
As the old saying goes, styles make fights! Both Cotto and Mosley have proven to be aggressive punchers who leave it all in the ring and that can only mean a dream come true for fight fans.
The Cotto vs. Mosley pay-per-view telecast, beginning at 9 pm ET/6 pm PT, will be produced and distributed by HBO Pay-Per-View and will be available to more than 61 million pay-per-view homes. The telecast will be available in HD-TV for those viewers who can receive HD. HBO Pay-Per-View is the leading supplier of event programming to the pay-per-view industry. For your Cotto vs. Mosley fight week updates, log on to www.hbo.com.