Boxing News - Latest Headlines


title De Leon-Velez fight undercard to still take place on March 2nd

abril545By Dan Ambrose: While the scheduled March 2nd main event fight between WBC featherweight champion Daniel Ponce De Leon and Jayson Velez has been canceled due to an ankle injury Velez suffered, the undercard fights will still take place on that date, and will be televised by Showtime at the Aollo Theater, in New York, New York, USA.

Instead of being able to see De Leon vs. Velez in the main event, boxing fans will have to settle for watching #1 WBA Richard Abril (17-3-1, 8 KO’s) battle unbeaten Sharif Bogere (23-0, 15 KO’s) for the vacant WBA World lightweight title. Read the rest of this entry »



title Arum worries Pacquiao-Marquez 5 bout could end up with fewer PPV sales it takes place outside U.S

pacBy Chris Williams: Manny Pacquiao doesn’t like the idea of having a huge portion of the money he makes for his fights to be taken by the United States government in the form of taxes. With Pacquiao making millions of dollars from American boxing fans on pay per view, he reportedly loses 39.6 percent of that from taxes. To avoid that, Pacquiao wants his next fight, which possibly could be against Juan Manuel Marquez, to take place in one of the Asian countries.

Arum told Yahoo News “Manny can go back to Las Vegas and make $25 million, but how much of it will he end up with – $15 million? If he goes to Macau, perhaps his purse will be $20 million, but he gets to keep it all, so he will be better off.” Read the rest of this entry »



title Katsidis possibly retiring from boxing

katsidis334By Allan Fox: Former WBO interim lightweight champion Michael Katsidis (28-6, 23 KO’s) is reportedly on the verge of retirement after pulling out of his scheduled February 21st bout against Weng Haya due to a medical condition, according to Yahoo News Australia. Johnny Lewis, Katsidis’ trainer, said he was pretty upset about it.

Lewis said to News Ltd. “Michael was crying at the news. It’s heartbreaking…I’m glad the tests have stopped him from fighting before something really bad happened. Boxing is a tough sport and it’s no good taking chances with your health.” Read the rest of this entry »



title Sakio Bika faces Nikola Sjekloca this Saturday, February 16th in Atlantic City, New Jersey

bika2By Dan Ambrose: This Saturday night, unbeaten #1 WBC contender Nikola Sjekloca (25-0, 7 KO’s) will have a tough test on his hands against #2 WBC Sakio Bika (30-5-2, 21 KO’s) in a WBC super middleweight title eliminator bout. The winner of this bout faces former IBF 168 lb. champion Lucian Bute for the WBC super middleweight title. Bika, 33, will likely win this fight due to his much better power and experience.

Bika lost to Lucian six years ago by a 12 round unanimous decision. However, a lot has changed since then, as Bute was badly beaten by Carl Froch last May, and Bute didn’t look good in his recent win over Denis Grachev. Read the rest of this entry »



title Saul Alvarez’s next opponent expected to be announced this week

alvarez43By Dan Ambrose: Golden Boy Promotions could be announcing who WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo”Alvarez (41-0-1, 30 KO’s) will be fighting next this week. However, Golden Boy won’t be announcing who Floyd Mayweather Jr. will be fighting next unfortunately, and that’s the fighter that the boxing public is more interested in.

Canelo will be the co-main event on Mayweather’s undercard on May 4th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. It’s still not clear who Canelo will be facing, but most boxing insiders believe WBA World junior middleweight champion Austin Trout will be the one that gets the fight. Read the rest of this entry »



title Kell Brook: My next fight is going to be with or without Alexander

brook334By Scott Gilfoid: Unbeaten welterweight Kell Brook (29-0, 19 KO’s) was bellyaching something fierce on Steve Bunce’s boxing program earlier today about the possibility that his fight with IBF welterweight champion Devon Alexander (24-1, 13 KO’s) could go out the window if Alexander decides to take a HUGE money fight against WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. next instead of facing him.

Brook sounded like he was really upset during the interview, but apparently his promoter Eddie Hearn did a good job of getting him to relax a little by telling him that Alexander will end up getting stripped of his International Boxing Federation 147 lb. title if he faces Mayweather. Read the rest of this entry »



title Maloney explains his rationale for matching David Price against 40-year-olds

price34By Scott Gilfoid: Frank Maloney, the promoter for unbeaten British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion David Price (15-0, 13 KO’s), came up with a weird rationale for explaining why he keeps matching the soon to be 30-year-old Price against 40-year-old fighters despite the fact that Price is an ex 2008 Olympian and that he should be fighting much, much better opposition at his age.

Maloney said to Steve Bunce at espn.co.uk “They say he’s [Price] facing a 40-year-old. [Tony Thompson]. I’d ask anyone to go in the ratings and find an American heavyweight in the top 10 that’s not 40-years-old. Other than David Price and Tyson Fury, there are no American heavyweight under 40 in the top 10. Read the rest of this entry »



title Haye works with Ukrainian paper to get Vitali fight

haye#49By Scott Gilfoid: Showing signs of getting ever more desperate for a fight against WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko, former WBA heavyweight champion David Haye has reportedly chosen to send a message to the Ukrainian newspaper Vzglyad in an effort to pressure Vitali to fight him by trying to create a huge public demand for the fight in Vitali’s native Ukraine.

According to thesun.co.uk, Haye said “This position [of WBC heavyweight champion] carries the obligation to fight strong contenders who the public identify. That person is now me. You the Ukrainian sports fans know it, I know it, and Vitali knows it. You can help make this happen. Tell Vitali to stand up and represent his people, fight me and honor the wishes of the Ukrainian.“ Read the rest of this entry »



title Jayson Velez suffers ankle injury, pulls out of De Leon fight

velez5By Dan Ambrose: Unbeaten #6 WBC featherweight contender Jayson Velez (20-0, 15 KO’s) has suffered an ankle injury and won’t be able to face WBC featherweight champion Daniel Ponce De Leon (44-4, 35 KO’s) on their scheduled March 2nd fight date on Showtime at the Apollo Theater, New York. The card will still take place on that date minus Velez-De Leon.

According to Steve Kim, Frank Espinosa, the manager for the 32-year-old De Leon, is confirming that Velez is pulling out of the fight with De Leon. There’s no word about when the two will be fighting. Read the rest of this entry »



title Rigondeaux signs for Donaire fight

rigondeaux6By Dan Ambrose: WBA World super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (11-0, 8 KO’s) has reportedly signed to fight WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire (31-1, 20 KO’s) on April 13th at a still to be determined venue. According to RingTV, they’re only waiting for Donaire’s side of the contract to be finalized so that he can sign and then the fight will be made official.

It’s not expected that Donaire will back out or create any roadblocks, but you never know until the fight is actually signed.

Pat English, the attorney for Rigondeaux’s manager Gary Hyde, let RingTV know that Rigondeaux has signed the contract, and they’ve sent it to Top Rank promoter Bob Arum. This was an easy fight for Arum to put together because it didn’t involve him working with another promoter like Golden Boy Promotions. Read the rest of this entry »



Follow Us
Ads by Yahoo
Your Location:
Privacy Statement