By Chris Williams: Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions has reportedly sent contracts to Top Rank for a fight offer between Golden Boy fighter WBC super bantamweight champion Abner Mares (25-0-1, 13 KO’s) and Top Rank stable fighter WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire (31-1, 20 KO’s).
De La Hoya earlier this week said that Golden Boy would offer $3 million for the fight. Top Rank promoter asked that De La Hoya send the proposal over to him so that he could review it and he would then make a decision on whether to go with the fight or not. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jim Dower: Undefeated #3 IBF, #3 WBO, #8 WBC, #13 WBA, junior middleweight contender Demetrius Andrade (19-0, 13 KO’s) won an easy 10 round unanimous decision on Friday night over an over-matched Freddy Hernandez (30-4, 20 KO’s) at the Paramount Theater in Huntington, New York. The final judges’ scores were 100-89, 100-89 and 100-89.
The 6’1″ southpaw Andrade knocked Hernandez down with a straight right hand in the 6th, and was able to slap and punch his way to winning the remainder of the rounds. In the 9th, Andrade hurt Hernandez with a short right uppercut while Hernandez was coming forward. To Hernandez’s credit, he was able to make it out of the round without hitting the canvas or getting stopped. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jim Dower: WBO NABO middleweight champion Brian Vera (22-6, 13 KO’s) successfully defended his title on Friday night with a 10th round stoppage win over 36-year-old former WBO junior middleweight champion Sergiy Dzinziruk (37-2-1, 24 KO’s) at the Turning Stone Resort & Casino, Verona, New York, USA.
The fight was halted in the 10th after the bigger Vera trapped Dzinziruk in the corner and pummeled him with shots until Dzinziruk dropped to the canvas. Although Dzinziruk got back to his feet, referee referee: Benjy Esteves Jr. decided to halt it after seeing that he was too hurt to continue. The official time of the stoppage as 1:50 of the round.
Vera knocked Dzinziruk down twice in the 1st round of action. The first knockdown came from a left to the body that caused Dzinziruk to trip and fall. The 2nd knockdown was more legit with Vera nailing Dzinziruk with a hard right-left combination while he was trapped on the ropes. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Lou Dibella, the promoter for WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (50-2-2, 28 KO’s), doesn’t see any upside in him putting the soon to be 38-year-old Martinez in with the hard hitting unbeaten WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (25-0, 22 KO’s) in a unification fight.
Dibella said this about the idea of having him match Martinez against Golvokin to espn.go.com “No way. Golovkin doesn’t draw a dime! [Miguel] Cotto and [Manny] Pacquiao would never get asked about this.”
As Dan Rafael pointed out earlier today, Dibella didn’t feel this way when he was trying to get Martinez a fight with the more popular former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. last year in September. He didn’t mind the fact that his fighter Martinez was the lesser known guy and the one that wasn’t a big seller in the United States. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: WBO middleweight champion Peter Quillin (28-0, 20 KO’s) sees WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (25-0, 22 KO’s) as just another one of the normal middleweight champions, and he doesn’t rank him as a high priority in terms of the fighters that he wants to take on.
Quillin says he prefers facing IBF champ Daniel Geale and WBC champ Sergio Martinez before he faces someone like Golovkin, according to fighthype.com. Quillin says he does want to fight Golovkin at some point but only after he’s made a name for himself by getting a few more fights under his before he faces him.
What’s really interesting is that Quillin sees himself as a well-known fighter in the United States, at least more so than Golovkin. Quillin believes his name has already been established despite the fact that he’s still pretty much an undercard fighter and not a main event guys. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (41-0-1, 30 KO’s) is poised to agree to fight on the Floyd Mayweather Jr. HBO pay per view undercard on May 4th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, provided Mayweather agrees to fight him in September.
Canelo told the record.com.mx “If you do not sign to face me in September, I promise not to fight on May 4th…I do not need to be co-feature for Floyd Mayweather, but we must do our part…It’s almost certainly going to be against him [Trout on May 4th]. I’m just waiting to confirm that we have signed two [Mayweather and Trout.” Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Well, it looks like IBF super middleweight champion Carl Froch can stop talking about his dream of having WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward come over to the UK to fight him so that Froch can have his final piece in the puzzle. Ward said that’s not going to happen.
If Froch AND Kessler want to avenge their defeats by Ward then they’re going to have to come to the United States and fight him there. He’s not going to go to Denmark or the UK because he feels he doesn’t have to and that shouldn’t have due to him being considered the best fighter in the division.
Ward said to esnewsreporting.com “I’ve lost all respect for Mikkel Kessler and I’ve lost all respect for Carl Froch. Neither one of those guys want to fight [me]. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Former IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (29-3, 19 KO’s) has four possibilities for his upcoming April 20th fight, according to Dan Rafael of ESPN. If Khan fights in the United States on that date, which doesn’t look like it’s going to happen, Khan will be fighting the recently knocked out Josesito Lopez (30-5, 18 KO’s).
If Khan fights in the UK, Khan will be fighting one of three following opponents: Vyacheslav Senchenko (33-1, 22 KO’s), Humberto Soto (59-8-2, 34 KO’s) or Pablo Cesar Cano (25-2-1, 19 KO’s).
Since it doesn’t look like the fights going to take place in the U.S, you can pretty much eliminate Lopez from the list right off the bat. Anyways, it doesn’t matter even if he still was on the list because he just got trounced by WBC junior middleweight champion Saul Alvarez in his last fight and it looks silly that he’s on Khan’s list. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: WBA World junior middleweight champion Austin Trout (26-0, 14 KO’s) says he’ll be finding out really soon if WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (41-0-1, 30 KO’s) will be fighting him on May 4th or not.
Trout said to ESPN Deportes “Oscar De La Hoya and Canelo are supposed to meet soon, and I’m supposed to hear the answer shortly. Whenever it happens, I’ll be ready. If it’s not for Canelo, I’m coming for Floyd Mayweather, Sergio Martinez, Vanes Martirosyan, Erislandy Lara, Alfredo Angulo, Carlos Molina, whoever. There are so many names. There should be no reason why I don’t fight. If it’s not Canelo, we’re not going to wait for him; we’re going to stay busy.” Read the rest of this entry »
By Ian Aldous: On February 23rd, Tony Thompson (36-3) travels across the pond to take on the big heavyweight hope of Great Britain, David Price (15-0), in a career defining fight for both men. While Price is looking to progress his career towards a world title challenge, Thompson hopes to get his career back on track after a second unsuccessful shot against longtime champion, Wladimir Klitschko. Last week Tony took some time to talk with me about his career ahead of the fight.
Tony ‘The Tiger’ Thompson knows full well how important the fight on February 23rd is for not only himself, but also David Price. Price is widely regarded as the man that can give Wladimir his toughest test for quite some time and must look at the fight with Thompson as a stepping-stone to heavyweight greatness. Tony appreciates how big the fight is for both men. “Well I think it’s a great opponent for the both of us. Read the rest of this entry »