(Photo credit: Naoki Fakuda) By Daniel Hughes: The last trait of many a fighter to go is his ability to punch. It’s often been said that the punch resistance and the reflexes of a fighter can go overnight, especially in fighters that has come off a long layoff such as 39-year-old Sergio Martinez (51-3-2, 28 KO’s).
The credit has to be given to the 33-year-old Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KO’s) becoming the new WBC middleweight champion at Madison Square Garden in New York last Saturday night. He proved a lot of critics wrong and delighted his legions of fans in the process. A vintage Cotto took the fight to Martinez from the start, pressuring him constantly. Cotto, doing what he does so well, showed the ability to test the will and heart of his opponent. He did this to great effect against Martinez. Read the rest of this entry »
(Photo credit: Naoki Fakuda) By Jermill Pennington: How childish of me to take the opportunity to say I told you so. However, I never grew up so I’m fine with it. Last week I posted an article entitled “Sergio Martinez, who has he beaten” (http://www.boxingnews24.com/2014/05/sergio-martinez-who-has-he-beaten/) where I chronicled his history of opponents only to illustrate their similarities in styles in comparison to Frankenstein. Before I continue basking in the glory of me being right, and you being wrong, I will say that I predicted that Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KO’s) would wear down Martinez in 8, when in fact it was 9 so I was off.
How I came to that conclusion you ask? I looked at the last version of Martinez (51-3-2, 28 KO’s) I seen in action versus Martin Murray last year in April and in that fight knew that Sergio was fighting on whit. Once the physical factors you possessed to elevate you to that level diminish it is only a matter of time before the rug is pulled out from under you. We have recently seen this happen in the Paulie Malignaggi versus Shawn Porter fight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: HBO commentator Roy Jones Jr. believes that former WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (51-3-2, 28 KO’s) lost the fight to Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KO’s) last Saturday night mainly because Martinez overlooked Cotto’s punching power. Jones Jr. thinks that Martinez came into the fight thinking that he was the bigger puncher and that if there was going to be a knockout in the fight, it would be the 33-year-old Cotto who would be knocked out.
“I don’t think he was prepared to deal with what he [Cotto] brought tonight,” Jones Jr. said. “Tonight, we saw Martinez come in there not expecting that Cotto could bomb him out the way he could bomb Cotto out. But Cotto did his homework. He know that if [Antonio] Margarito could bomb him in seven rounds, then it’s very possible – I don’t care if it was a 100 years ago – it’s very possible that if a lighter punching Margarito stopped you, then Cotto could do the same. Read the rest of this entry »
By Yannis Mihanos: They say that the importance of victory depends on the kind of adversity you face. Last Saturday night Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KO’s) became a four weight division world champion by defeating WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (51-3-2, 28 KO’s) by a 10th round TKO at Madison Square Garden in New York.
Prior to the match questions had been raised whether the 39-year-old Martinez would have been able to come back in full form due to his recent knee surgeries along with his long layoff of 14 months since his last fight in April of 2013 against Martin Murray. Read the rest of this entry »
By Bradley Dee: If you recall my earlier article here, I predicted that Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KO’s) had a great chance at beating WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (51-3-2, 28 KO’s) in their fight last Saturday night at Madison Square Garden in New York.
As you can see in the comments section, I was also bashed, belittled, beaten on, etc, by many a reader for this prediction. Some even go as far as name calling.
Why did I predict this and why did it happen? Two reasons, and none of them had to do with the knees of Martinez. The first reason was Cotto’s trainer Freddie Roach, and the second reason was Cotto. Read the rest of this entry »
(Photo by Will Hart) By Allan Fox: After seven years as a pro, WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (29-0, 26 KO’s) will be fighting his first well-known opponent in former IBF/WBA 160-pound champion Daniel Geale (30-2, 16 KO’s) in their “G4” card next month on July 26th on HBO from Madison Square Garden in New York. While Geale obviously isn’t as popular as guys like Miguel Cotto or Sergio Martinez, he is a big step up from the guys that Golovkin has been fighting up until now in terms of visibility and fighting technique.
Golovkin is quite pleased to be getting the fight with Geale, and he’s hoping that this fight will lead to bigger ones against the likes of Cotto, Peter Quillin, Sam Soliman and Carl Froch. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: WBO light welterweight champion Ruslan Provodnikov (23-2, 16 KO’s) says he’s going into his fight this Saturday night against unbeaten #13 WBO challenger Chris Algieri (19-0, 8 KO’s) like he’s the challenger instead of champion when the two of them square off at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
Provodnikov realizes that he has a tough opponent in 30-year-old Algieri, mostly due to his ability to box and move. This isn’t going to be a fight in which Provodnikov can depend on his opponent to meet him in the center of the ring for him to have an easy stationary target like he had in his fights against Mike Alvarado and Tim Bradley. Algieri will be elusive, and will be looking to stay away from Provodnikov all night in their HBO televised fight on Saturday. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Boxing fans will have the opportunity to catch the replay of the Miguel Cotto – Sergio Martinez fight this Saturday night on June 14th. The replay is of last Saturday night’s HBO pay-per-view bout which saw Cotto destroy a game but physically limited 39-year-old Martinez (51-3-2, 28 KO’s) in 9 brutal rounds before Martinez’s trainer Pablo Sarmiento had the good sense to stop the fight in the opening seconds of the 10th. Read the rest of this entry »
(Photo credit: Naoki Fakuda) By Allan Fox: Sampson Lewkowicz, says that former WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (51-3-2, 28 KO’s) won’t be making a decision on whether he’ll be retiring or not for at least three months. Martinez needs time to think about his future and it’s going to take him a considerable amount of time to make a concrete decision.
Martinez, 39, was thrashed by Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KO’s) in a surprise upset loss to the much smaller Puerto Rican fighter at MSG in New York. The loss was a devastating one for Martinez’s career, because it was a fight that wasn’t close at all, even from the start. Cotto had Martinez on the deck three times in the opening round, and he continued to pummel him in the other rounds as well. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: The light hitting #1 WBO Brian Rose (25-1-1, 7 KO’s) is taking a huge step up in class this Saturday night when he faces unbeaten WBO light middleweight champion Demetrius Andrade (20-0, 13 KO’s) on the undercard of the Ruslan Provodnikov vs. Chris Algieri card at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The Andrade-Rose fight will be the co-feature bout on the card, which will be televised on HBO. Andrade, 6’1”, will be making his title defense of his WBO strap that he won last November with a 12 round split decision victory over Vanes Martiroyan. Read the rest of this entry »