By Scott Gilfoid: Promoter Eddie Hearn is working with Top Rank to try and put together the fight that IBF/WBA super middleweight champion Carl Froch wants against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr for the end of the year in either November or December. The fight, if it gets put together, will be staged in Las Vegas, Nevada, and it would be on HBO pay-per-view.
It would be a big stretch for Top Rank to make a fight between Froch and Chavez Jr a PPV fight in the U.S, because Froch arguably no more popular in America than Chavez Jr’s last opponent Brian Vera. You can make an argument that Froch isn’t even as popular as Vera, because he doesn’t have a large pool of fans to count on to purchase a fight between him and Chavez Jr on PPV in the U.S. Froch’s British fans would scoop up a fight between him and Chavez Jr on Sky Box Office, but these won’t be able to help out with the much more important PPV buys in America. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: In two weeks, Showtime ALL ACCESS Canelo vs. Lara episode 1 will be televised on Showtime. This is the preview of the July 12th pay-per-view fight between WBA junior middleweight champion Erislandy Lara and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in their fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Episode of the Canelo-Lara series will be televised at 9 p.m. ET/PT. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: Roger Mayweather, the uncle and trainer for Floyd Mayweather Jr, says that Floyd Jr. would whip Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KO’s) and take his WBC middleweight title off of him if they were to fight again. Roger feels that their previous fight in 2012 wasn’t even close, and that was with Floyd Jr intentionally fighting Cotto’s fight in order to make it a more crowd pleasing fight for the fans.
Floyd Jr didn’t want to go out there and make Cotto miss all night long to make him look really bad the way he could have done. Read the rest of this entry »
By Matt Wood: Two exciting featherweights will square off for the vacant WBO 126-pound title this month on June 21 in American Gary Russell Jr. (24-0) and Ukrainian Vasyl Lomachenko (1-1). If you’re unfamiliar with these fighters, their records might indicate a lopsided fight with Lomachenko having only two pro bouts under his belt, one of which is a loss, while Russel has steadily stacked up wins as a pro since 2009. Read the rest of this entry »
By Robert “Big Moe” Elmore: One of the ultimate goals for a fighter/boxer is to win a major world title. Once that is achieved the idea is to keep winning and attract public attention. In other words, they want to put themselves in position to where they can dictate the conditions (negotiations) prior to a fight. But there is harsh reality to this scenario. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: WBA Super World featherweight champion Nonito Donaire (33-2, 21 KO’s) said recently that he would give Simpiwe Vetyeka (26-3, 18 KO’s) a rematch after beating him by a 5 round technical decision to pick up his WBA title last month on May 31st in Macao, China. But Donaire reportedly is leaning in the direction of facing WBA World featherweight champion Nicholas Walters (24-0, 20 KO’s) instead, according to Philboxing.com.
Why the change of mind for Donaire? It’s hard to say, but maybe he realizes it was going to be tough trying to beat Vetyeka in a rematch, and that he would be better off moving on against Walters. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Rodney Berman, the promoter for former world title challenger Martin Murray (27-1-1, 12 KO’s) has made contract with IBF middleweight champion Sam Soliman’s management about a fight between Murray and Soliman that Berman would like to setup for this October. Murray was already beaten by former WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez last year in April in a failed attempt to capture the 39-year-old Sergio’s WBC strap.
Since that time, #4 WBC Murray has picked up two victories over little known opponents Ishmael Tetteh and Sergey Khomitsky, and Murray is now ready to fight for another world title against the 40-year-old Soliman for his IBF middleweight strap. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: Miguel Cotto’s win over WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (51-3-2, 28 KO’s) has trainer Freddie Roach and Top Rank promoter Bob Arum both believing that Cotto is a new man and is better than ever was before. And they both believe that Cotto would beat Floyd Mayweather Jr (46-0, 26 KO’s) right now if he were to agree to give him a second fight.
It’s hard to understand why Mayweather would fight Cotto again because he already beat him by a lopsided 12 round decision in 2012, and Mayweather doesn’t waste time going over old ground to keep fighting the same guy over and over and over again like some fighters do. Mayweather moves on each time he picks up a pelt. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Tony Bellew (21-2-1, 13 KO’s) and Nathan Cleverly (27-1, 13 KO’s) have their opponents picked out for next month’s July 12th card at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, UK. Bellew will be fighting fringe contender Julio Cesar Dos Santos (26-2, 23 KO’s), while Cleverly will be fighting little known Argentinian Alejandro Emilio Valori (15-4, 11 KO’s).
Both fights are scheduled for 12 rounds, although it’s unlikely that either of them will get anywhere close to the 12th due to the fights being mismatches. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward is the king of the hill in the 168lb division, but the problem is he’s so incredibly good that he’s got the other fighters running scared of him and making excuses left and right about why they shouldn’t risk their hide getting in the ring with him.
Ward could move up to light heavyweight to find some brave souls that aren’t afraid to get in the ring with him, but Ward doesn’t see it being worth it because there would be only one fight for him against WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev, and that wouldn’t even be a big money fight. It would likely bring Ward little more than what he typically gets for his fights. Read the rest of this entry »