Boxing News - Latest Headlines


title Frankie Gavin moving down to 140

By Scott Gilfoid: In a predictable move, #4 IBF welterweight contender Frankie Gavin (22-2, 13 KOs) says he’s going to be moving down to 140 to campaign as a light welterweight. This comes after the 29-year-old Gavin was stopped in the 6th round by IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook (35-0, 24 KOs) last Saturday night at the O2 Arena in London, UK. Read the rest of this entry »



title Roach: Golovkin brings too much risk and little reward for Cotto

By Dan Ambrose: Freddie Roach, the trainer for WBC 160lb champion Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KOs), says Gennady Golovkin (33-0, 30 KOs) as being too risky a fight for the 34-year-old Cotto for what he brings to the table in terms of potential money. Roach says that his No.1 fighter Manny Pacquiao recently walked past Golovkin in his Wildcard Gym in Los Angeles without knowing who Golovkin was.

For Roach, that was a big sign that Golovkin isn’t recognizable enough to put Cotto in with him yet. It’s hard to imagine Pacquiao not being able to recognize who Golovkin is because he’s been fighting four times per year on HBO, and you can’t miss him if you follow the sport on American television.

Pacquiao lives in the Philippines, so that might explain why he was in the dark about who Golovkin is. Since the PPV money that Cotto makes is from the American market, Golovkin is a very marketable opponent for him whether Pacquiao knows him or not. Read the rest of this entry »



title Cotto: I’m fighting Geale because he was biggest name that accepted my terms

By Allan Fox: For a lot of fans they wonder why WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KOs) chose to fight the 34-year-old Daniel Geale (31-3, 16 KOs) for this Saturday instead of a bigger threat or a guy with more talent like Gennady Golovkin. Cotto says that Geale was the biggest name who was willing to accept his contract terms for the fight. That’s why he was given the shot. Read the rest of this entry »



title Khan says he wants Mayweather, not unproven Brook

khan456By Scott Gilfoid: Once again, Amir Khan has slammed the door in the face of IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook as far as a potential fight against him. On Wednesday, Khan said for the umpteenth time that he wants American superstar Floyd Mayweather Jr. for a fight, not Brook, who still sees as an unproven fighter given the level of opposition that his various promoters has put him in with during his long 11-year pro career.

Khan says he’s closer than he ever has been in getting a fight against the talented Mayweather for September, and he doesn’t want to waste his time fighting a guy who doesn’t have the same kind of name value. Read the rest of this entry »



title Carl Froch vs Gennady Golovkin possible at super middleweight

golovkin883By Demetrius Luke: A bout between former four time super middleweight world champion Carl Froch (33-2, 24 KOs) and current WBA (super) middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (33-0, 30 KOs) is possible at super middleweight in the fall.

The fight would take place in the UK as that is where the card would almost certainty be a pay per view bill in a big outdoor football stadium. Froch was part of the last outdoor stadium fight in the UK just over a year ago when he defeated long time rival George Groves at Wembley Stadium. Read the rest of this entry »



title Humberto Soto suffers knee injury, June 27th fight is off

soto423464By Dan Ambrose: 35-year-old former two division world champion Humberto Soto (65-8-2, 35 KOs) won’t be fighting on June 27th. He was scheduled to face replacement opponent Jose Felix Jr., but on Tuesday, Soto reportedly suffered a knee injury, causing him to pull out of the fight.

Soto, #7 IBF, #7 WBC, was previously scheduled to face Frankie Gavin and Raymundo Beltran, but both of those fights went down the drain due to various reasons. Soto’s fight against Felix Jr. was an effort to salvage a bad situation, but now even that fight isn’t going to take place. Read the rest of this entry »



title Cotto says people will have to wait for Golovkin fight

cotto034444(Photo credit: Rich Kane – Hoganphotos/Roc Nation) By Dan Ambrose: WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KOs) made it clear on Tuesday if fight fans want to see him fight WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (33-0, 30 KOs) they’re going to have to wait until the right time in the future.

Just when the Cotto vs. Golovkin fight will take place is unclear, but Cotto himself will the one that makes that decision, not the boxing fans or Golovkin. Cotto will be fighting former IBF/WBA 160lb champion Daniel Geale (31-3, 16 kOs) this Saturday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Read the rest of this entry »



title Geale glad Cotto looking past him

geale422(Photo credit: Hoganphotos/Roc Nation) By Dan Ambrose: With WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KOs) seemingly looking past challenger Daniel Geale (31-3, 16 KOs) for their fight on Saturday towards a fight a big money pay-per-view fight against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, Geale believes that Cotto is taking it for granted that he’s going to win this fight.

Geale is both amused and taken aback by one of his opponents overlooking him. Geale acknowledges that he was easily beaten by Gennady Golovkin last year in three rounds, but he doesn’t see Cotto as having the same kind of size and talent that Golovkin possesses. Read the rest of this entry »



title Porter: Broner is walking into the lion’s den, he can’t run for long

porter100By Allan Fox: Former IBF welterweight champion Shawn Porter (25-1-1, 16 KOs) says he’s ready to chase down Adrien Broner (30-1, 22 KOs) and force him to fight in their catch-weight fight at 144 pounds this month on June 20th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Broner isn’t much of a runner so it’s hard to understand where Porter is coming from in saying he’s going to chase him down if he has to. Broner will likely be stationary and fighting behind his normal shoulder roll defense. Read the rest of this entry »



title Roach: No tune-up for Pacquiao when he comes back

1-MAYPAC-FIGHTNIGHT-TRAPPFOTOS-5691By Chris Williams: When 37-year-old Manny Pacquiao returns to the ring next year in 2016, he won’t be taking a tune-up fight, says his trainer Freddie Roach. Pacquiao is going to go straight into a normal fight for him.

This is obviously runs counter to what most fighter do after they suffer serious career-threatening injuries like the one he experienced with his torn right rotator cuff. Pacquiao did the same thing after suffering a really bad knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez in 2012. Read the rest of this entry »



The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of BoxingNews24 or its affiliates.

Privacy Statement l Back to top of page l Cookies Policy l Boxing Resources l Contact Us