By Allan Fox: Tickets for the highly anticipated May 4th fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero will reportedly go on sale this Tuesday, March 12th for their fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Mayweather, 36, will be defending his WBC welterweight title against 29-year-old Guerrero in a fight that will be televised on Showtime/CBS pay-per-view.
There’s a lot of questions about how much Mayweather has left in the tank. He didn’t look at all good last year against Miguel Cotto in winning a close 12 round decision. Mayweather said he could have boxed Cotto, and it would have been a much easier fighter. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Newly crowned IBF light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins (53-6-2, 32 KO’s) wanted to make it clear after his 12 round unanimous decision victory over IBF light heavyweight champion Tavoris Cloud (24-1, 19 KO’s) last Saturday night that he has no intentions of fighting WBA/WBC super middleweight champion Andre Ward in the future.
Hopkins seemed to want to head people off at the pass by bringing that up at the post fight press conference just in case someone started asking him to agree to a fight with Ward after WBC light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson tried and failed to beat Ward last year in September.
Hopkins said at the post-fight press conference, “Andre Ward is a protégé of myself. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: If David Price wants to avenge his 2nd round knockout loss to #1 IBF Tony Thompson (37-3, 25 KO’s) then he had better try and snatch him up really quick to sign for a fight because the powerful Golden Boy Promotions is in the process of booking Thompson for a fight against the talented heavyweight puncher #9 WBA Deontay Wilder (27-0, 27 KO’s) in the near future in a fight that will be staged in Wilder’s home state of Alabama.
Schaefer said last Saturday night, “We believe Deontay Wilder is ready as well. We’d like to put him with the guy that beat David Price; Thompson. And so we’ll look and have them fight from Alabama, but I think Deontay Wilder is an exciting young heavyweight prospect in the United States.” Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Unbeaten welterweight contender Keith Thurman (20-0, 18 KO’s) made a fan out of former IBF welterweight champion Jan Zaveck (32-3, 18 KO’s) after being him badly in a one-sided 12 round unanimous decision last Saturday night on the Bernard Hopkins vs. Tavoris Cloud undercard on HBO. Thurman hurt Zaveck a number of times in the fight and completely shut him out by the scores of 120-108, 120-108 and 120-108.
Zaveck told ESPN “He was much better than me…I give him my congratulations…He’s going to have a great future.”
Thurman looked great in his third fight on HBO. None of the fights have been close, and he took some criticism after the fight from WBA welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi about his soft opposition. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn believes he can setup a fight between unbeaten #1 WBO George Groves (17-0, 13 KO’s) and IBF super middleweight champion Carl Froch either this year or in 2014 now that Groves has joined Hearn’s Matchroom Sport promotional stable. It makes putting the fight together a lot easier.
Hearn said to Sky Sports, “I think 2014 or even late 2013 it’s an obvious fight. Froch wants the Ward rematch…but that’s a tough fight and there’s other fights out there.” Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: The Sun is reporting that WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns (35-2, 10 KO’s) has signed up with Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Sports promotional stable and an announcement will be made on Monday. This likely will lead to a court battle with Burns’ current promoter Frank Warren, as he’s saying he still have a valid contract with Burns.
What this means for Burns’ scheduled April 20th unification bout against IBF champion Miguel Vazquez is still unclear. That might be off if Hearn is able to add Burns to his stable. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez’s trainer Chepo Reynoso says they’re still targeting Floyd Mayweather Jr. for September 14th despite Mayweather choosing not to face Canelo on May 4th.
Canelo will have to beat WBA junior middleweight champion Austin Trout (26-0, 14 KO’s) next month on April 20th, of course, for Canelo to move forward for a bout against Mayweather. If Canelo can’t get Mayweather, then he wants to face former WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto or WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Former IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (27-3, 19 KO’s) is still convinced that he’ll be cleaning up the light welterweight division and then moving up in weight to 147 to go after Floyd Mayweather Jr. and all of the straps up there. However, Khan’s lack of success recently suggests otherwise.
Khan said on his social media site, “100% we all know I’ll clean up the division before I move up to 147.”
The plan that Khan’s promoter Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions has for Khan is for him to face eventual winner of a pair of bouts between Danny Garcia vs. Zab Judah and Lucas Matthysse vs. Lamont Peterson. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: WBA World welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi (32-4, 7 KO’s) will be facing WBC lightweight champion Adrien Broner (26-0, 22 KO’s) on June 22nd in a fight that will likely be televised by HBO rather than Showtime from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told RingTV last night that the Broner-Malignaggi fight is “Basically done.”
Schaefer had been attempting to match Broner against WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns in a unification bout, but Burns is still under contract with Frank Warren and is scheduled for a unification bout against Miguel Vazquez next. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Undefeated welterweight contender Keith Thurman (20-0, 18 KO’s) made the mistake of addressing WBA welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi at Thurman’s post-fight press conference last Saturday night following his lopsided 12 round unanimous decision victory over former IBF welterweight champion Jan Zaveck at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
Thurman ended up finding himself on the receiving end of a verbal thrashing by the much better speaking Malignaggi, and I’m sure Thurman now regrets even mentioning Malignaggi.
Thurman: “Hey Paulie, how long you going to duck me, son? What do I have to do to get you to step inside the ring?” Read the rest of this entry »