By Jim Dower: It’s no secret that it’s in the best interest of Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and his promoters at Golden Boy Promotions to drag out the mega-fight against middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin for as long as possible before they eventually put the fight together.
Canelo is 26 and still has a couple years before he hits his full prime of his career. Golovkin is about to turn 35, and he clearly doesn’t have too many more years ahead of him. If De La Hoya throws Canelo into the ring with Golovkin right now, he likely gets blasted apart in an embarrassing fashion.
What we saw of Canelo last Saturday in struggling to beat WBO junior middleweight champion Liam Smith by a 9th round knockout has confirmed in the minds of a lot of boxing fans that the red-haired Mexican star will be hopelessly over-matched when/if he faces Golovkin in the future.
A loss for Canelo could cause his loyal fan base to stop purchasing his fights on pay-per-view. Obviously, that would be a terrible thing for Golden Boy Promotions, considering that they don’t have a replacement pay-per-view attraction that can step in and take the place of Canelo.
That’s why might not see the Canelo-Golovkin fight take place in 2016, because it would likely be a disaster for Canelo and Golden Boy if he faces Golovkin and gets whipped badly.
The longer Golden Boy waits before putting Canelo in with Golovkin the better it is for their young star Canelo. If they can wait Golovkin out until he’s nearly shot, then it increases the chances of Canelo winning the fight. It’s tricky though. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Undefeated #6 WBA Murat Gassiev (23-0, 17 KOs) says he’ll be gunning for a knockout on December 3rd when he challenges IBF/WBA Super World cruiserweight champion Denis Lebedev (29-2, 22 KOs) in Moscow, Russia. The 22-year-old Gassiev, who comes from Vladikavkaz, Russia, will be coming into the fight with a big advantage in height and age against the 37-year-old Lebedev. There are a lot of boxing fans that are excited about Gassiev, as he’s got true one-punch power with either hand. Gassiev is someone appears to be heading for stardom in the cruiserweight division. He’s like a small Mike Tyson with the way he punches. He doesn’t Tyson’s speed, but his power is devastating to say the least. Gassiev has the kind of power that KO anyone in the division.
That doesn’t mean he’s absolutely going to win, but it could be a factor in this fight if he can get his shots off. Gassiev has crushing punching power with both hands, but he tends to wait a long time in between letting his shots go. That might not be a good idea for Gassiev to be economical against the hard hitting 5’11” Lebedev on December 3, because the fight could be over before he even gets a chance to throw anything if he waits too long. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: In what appears to be a case of Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya letting middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin know that he had better accept the eight-figure offer given to him for a fight against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, De La Hoya is saying that he wishes Golovkin luck trying to find another fighter that will give him the same money that he’s offering him for a fight next year.
De La Hoya has reportedly offered Golovkin $10 million for a fight that some boxing fans think could make more than $100 million. De La Hoya says that Golovkin needs to accept the offer given to him. He says Golovkin can make more with the pay-per-view upside he’ll be getting for the fight. Just how much extra money Golovkin can make is unclear. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Promoter Frank Warren is upset with Chris Eubank Jr. (23-1, 18 KOs) after he suddenly pulled out of his defense of his British middleweight title against Warren’s fighter Tommy Langford. The two fighters were supposed to be fighting next month in October, but Eubank Jr. announced last week that he had an elbow injury and is vacating his British 160lb title.
Warren says that he had contracts signed and training expenses for Langford. He put a lot of effort into building this fight up, and now it’s all down the drain with Eubank Jr. pulling out of the fight and vacating his British strap. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Kevin Mitchell found out the hard way how talented the 31-year-old Jorge Linares (40-3, 27 KOs) is, and now it’s Anthony Crolla’s turn when the two of them face each other this Saturday night on September 24 at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, UK. Linares, a former three division world champion, will be challenging the 29-year-old Crolla (31-4-3, 13 KOs) for his World Boxing Association lightweight title.
Mitchell thinks Linares is past it somewhat in terms of his skills at this point in his career. Linares has had some injury problems that led to him being stripped of his WBC lightweight title recently due to inactivity. Mitchell believes that the inactivity and injuries is a sign that Linares is slipping. I don’t know. When I see other fighters like Kell Brook getting injured left and right in recent years, it suggests to me that injuries are a part of the sport rather than a sign that a fighter is slipping. Read the rest of this entry »
By Eric Baldwin: Saul “Canelo” Alvarez posted a message on his social media site saying that he won’t be fighting for the remainder of 2016, and when he does come back in 2017, he’ll be “hungrier” and ready for the big fights. What those big fights are is anyone’s guess.
Canelo hasn’t been taking the big fights lately with him facing a welterweight in Amir Khan last May and then facing what many boxing fans saw as the weakest of the world champions in the 154lb division in his fight against Liam Smith last Saturday night at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Two-time Irish Olympian Michael Conlan has reportedly signed a multi-fight deal with Top Rank promotions to have them guide his career. Conlan plans on fighting in the super bantamweight division.
The 24-year-old Conlan twice fought in the Olympics in getting beaten in 2012 and 2016. There some controversy involved with Conlan’s loss to Russia’s Vladimir Nikitin in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rios de Janeiro in the quarterfinals of the bantamweight division. Conlan was pretty upset about his loss, but you can understand what the judges were seeing. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jim Dower: It’s becoming apparent that the fans might not see the much hoped for mega-fight between Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and unbeaten middleweight star Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs) in 2017 as previously mentioned by Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya. If he’s really serious about wanting to get Golovkin for Canelo to fight in 2017, then he’ll offer him a 55-45 deal.
That percentage cut of the revenue will bring a smile to the face of Golovkin, his trainer Abel Sanchez and most importly to his promoter Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions. It will also bring a smile to the face of the boxing fans, because they’ll get a chance to see this great fight while Golovkin is still able to get around the ring without the use of a walker. Read the rest of this entry »
By Eric Baldwin: Golden Boy Promotions spokesman Stefan Friedman says that superstar Saul “Canelo” Alvarez’s hand injury won’t be keeping him out of a fight against undisputed middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin in the near future. That fight won’t be impacted by the injury Canelo suffered in beating WBO junior middleweight champion Liam “Beefy” Smith (23-1-1, 13 KOs) last Saturday night at the O2 Arena in Arlington, Texas.
The injury will keep Canelo out of the ring for the remainder of 2016, however. Canelo suffered a fracture of his right thumb in the 2nd round against Smith. Canelo had moved down to the junior middleweight division to challenge Smith for his WBO 154lb title. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 Kos) suffered a fractured right hand in his 9th round knockout win over WBO junoor middleweight champion Liam Smith last Saturday night, and the injury will keep the Mexican star outside of the ring for the remainder of 2016.
This is certainly bad news for Canelo and for his promoters at Golden Boy, as they were hoping to squeeze in one more fight this year, possibly against WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders. Canelo will likely be fighting next in May 2017 on the Cinco de Mayo holiday weekend. This is supposedly the last fight for Canelo until he faces unbeaten IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs) in September 2017.
Here’s the press release from Golden Boy: Read the rest of this entry »