By Chris Williams: With three less than impressive performances in his last three fights, WBA Super World featherweight champion Nonito Donaire (33-2, 21 KOs) has a very real chance of losing tonight against unbeaten knockout artist Nicholas Walters (24-0, 20 KOs) in their co-feature bout on the “Mexican Style” fight card on HBO Championship Boxing from the StubHub Center in Carson, California.
Donaire hasn’t lost a fight since last year when he was beaten by the tough Cuban Guillermo Rigondeaux by a 12 round decision. Donaire was on his way to losing to Vic Darchinyan last November when Donaire scored a knockout in the 9th. Darchinyan was ahead on the scorecards 78-74 and 78-74 by two of the judges. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: European Boxing Union middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders (20-0, 11 KOs) recently said that he’ll hang up the gloves if he loses his next fight to #15 WBO Chris Eubank Jr (17-0, 12 KOs) on November 29th at the ExCel Arena in London, UK.
Eubank Jr, 25, plans on testing Saunders’ word by beating him and then seeing if he will actually retire or not. If Saunders doesn’t retire, then it just means that he was flapping his gums without meaning what he was saying. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Top Rank promoter Bob Arum wants former World Boxing Council (WBC) middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr (48-1-1, 32 KOs) to face IBF/WBA super middleweight champion Carl Froch in Chavez Jr’s final fight of his contract with Top Rank. While Chavez Jr is saying he’s a free agent and has completed his contract with Top Rank, Arum is still saying he’s under contract for one more fight.
Arum wants that fight to be against Froch, and then he sees him being clear of him. Arum says he’s not going to try and get Chavez Jr to sign an extension as part of a deal for him to fight Froch. He just wants him to take that fight and then he’s clear. Read the rest of this entry »
(Photo credit: Naoki Fakuda) By Dan Ambrose: Marco Antonio Rubio (59-6-1, 51 KOs) came in nearly two pounds over the weight limit for his title challenge against WBA 160 pound champion Gennady Golovkin (30-0, 27 KOs) earlier today at the weigh-in.
Rubio weighed in at 161.8 pounds, and missed the 160 pound limit by 1.81 pounds. Rubio will be fined $50,000 per pound over the limit. He had two hours to take off the weight, but he failed to do so. It’s unclear whether he made any effort or not. If so, it would be interesting to know how much weight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: WBA Super World featherweight champion Nonito Donaire’s father, Donaire Sr, says Nonito has got his old movement and is fighting in the old style that made him successful for many years.
Donaire seems to have lost a lot of his mobility ever since he put on weight after having been voted the 2012 Fighter of the Year. Donaire had to trim down a lot of weight to face WBO super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux in a fight that Donaire lost.
The movement was gone from Donaire in that fight. In his two subsequent bouts against Vic Darchinyand and Simpiwe Vetyeka, Donaire’s ability to move has been limited. He looked slow and heavy-legged in both of those fights and nothing like the fighter that was crowned the 2012 Fighter of the Year. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jim Dower: At Friday’s weigh-in, challenger Marco Antonio Rubio (59-6-1, 51 KOs) came in almost two pounds over the limit at 161.8 pounds for his fight on Saturday night against World Boxing Association (WBA) Super World middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (30-0, 27 KOs) for their fight at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.
For his part, Golovkin weighed in a pound under the limit at 159 pounds. The 34-year-old Rubio stripped down nude in a failed attempt to make the weight, but he still came in over at 161.8lbs. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: WBA Super World middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler reportedly spoke to Eddie Hearn, the promoter for IBF/WBA super middleweight champion Carl Froch, about the unbeaten Golovkin coming over to the UK to face the 37-year-old Froch in 2015.
There’s no word from Hearn whether Froch would be open to a fight like that, because Froch seems to be totally dialed into wanting a fight against former WBC 160 pound champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, even though Chavez Jr is no longer a champion and his stock has plummeted dramatically in the boxing world sense his loss to Serto Martinez in 2012. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Amir Khan (29-3, 19 KOs) has been stopped twice in his career in losses to Breidis Prescott and Danny Garcia. In both cases, a badly hurt Khan was able to get back to his feet before the fight was halted.
Khan was technically not knocked out in the clinical sense, but he so badly hurt in both of his knockout losses that he wouldn’t have likely stayed upright with the first punch he was hit with by Garcia and Prescott.
Khan feels that he wasn’t knocked out like Manny Pacquiao was in his 6th round stoppage loss to Juan Manuel Marquez in 2012. Because of that, Khan questions why boxing fans want to see Mayweather fight Pacquiao instead of him. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Former IBF World super middleweight champion Lucian Bute (31-2, 24 KOs) has hit a rough patch in his boxing career in the last two years with losses to Jean Pascal and Carl Froch. Bute has lost 2 out of his last 3 fights, and he’s now fighting at light heavyweight where you would have to assume that his chin problems will be further highlighted.
Bute was knocked out in 5 rounds by Froch in May of 2012, and ever since that fight Bute has looked gun-shy in his fights against Denis Grachev and Pascal. In both fights, Bute fought like a guy that was afraid to let his hands go for fear of running into something big. Read the rest of this entry »
oooh weeee!!!!! Hurry up and send me that thang📨 so I can put my John Hancock📝 on it #BOMBZQUAD
— Deontay Wilder (@BronzeBomber) October 17, 2014
By Scott Gilfoid: Undefeated heavyweight knockout artist Deontay Wilder (32-0, 32 KOs) is raring to go for his title shot against World Boxing Council heavyweight title holder Bermane Stiverne (24-1-1, 21 KOs). Read the rest of this entry »
(Photo credit: Naoki Fakuda) By Dan Ambrose: Abel Sanchez, the trainer for World Boxing Association (WBA) Super World middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (30-0, 27 KOs) doesn’t think much of challenger Marco Antonio Rubio’s 51 knockouts on his 59-6-1, 51 KO record.
Sanchez notes that those knockouts didn’t come against guys that were at the same talent level that Golovkin has. Rubio has scored a lot of knockouts, but against much weaker B, C and D level opposition during his long career. Rubio has had a lot of record-padding fights throughout his 14-year pro career, and he’s rarely mixed it up with really high quality opposition. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: This Saturday night HBO will have one of their better co-feature bouts when WBA Super World featherweight champion Nonito Donaire (33-2, 21 KOs) goes up against WBA champion Nicholas Walters (24-0, 20 KOs) at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.
Donaire, 31, is considered the favorite as of now, but more and more boxing fans believe that this fight is Walters to win due to his youth, size, power, defense and boxing skills. Read the rest of this entry »