By Patrick McHugh: Former five division world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. has officially given up on the idea of fighting UFC star Conor McGregor. The 39-year-old Mayweather says he attempted to put the fight together but he couldn’t do it. Why exactly the fight couldn’t get made is unclear, but it might be due to the money.
Putting Mayweather and McGregor together in the ring would have been poison anyway. McGregor would be the equivalent of a novice, and it would have ended badly. If were an exhibition bout for the fans to see, it wouldn’t have been bad. But for fans to have to buy the fight on PPV, it would have been a real negative for the sport.
Mayweather said that if he came back, he would need to get a nine-figure payday. Getting that kind of money would be hard enough, because it would require a great opponent for the boxing ring, and a network willing to give Mayweather a lot of money. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Former four division world champion Adrien Broner got what some boxing fans feel was a lucky break today when he was supposed to stand trial for his felony assault and aggravated robbery charges in Cincinnati, Ohio. Broner’s alleged victim failed to show up at court, which resulted in the charges being dropped. The case was then dismissed.
Earlier this year, Broner allegedly assaulted the man on January 21 and took $12,000 from have outside of a bowling alley in Cincinnati. Broner had allegedly been gambling over bowling with the man. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jim Dower: Despite Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) vacating his WBC middleweight title and moving down to 154 to defeat World Boxing Organization belt holder Liam “Beefy” Smith (23-1-1, 13 KOs) last Saturday night, Ring Magazine has decided to retain the 26-year-old Canelo as their Ring middleweight champion in the 160lb division.
It’s more than a little controversial; however, as Canelo doesn’t hold a world title at 160 any longer after he vacated his WBC middleweight belt this year when ordered to fight Gennady Golovkin. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: As far as former super middleweight champion Andre “SOG” Ward is concerned, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez has nothing to prove to anybody by having to fight Gennady “GGG” Golovkin when the boxing fans want him to. Ward believes that Canelo has already proven himself many times over in big fights that he has courage to take on dangerous opposition and he shouldn’t have to be questioned about his heart by the boxing fans.
Ward says he likes the way Canelo’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya is guiding his career by moving to the Golovkin fight when it’s the right time. Ward brings up the example of how the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao fight ended up making a lot more money by having it wait until the time was right to make the match-up. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr. thinks that Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will share the same fate as welterweight Kell Brook when he gets inside the ring with IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin in the future. Mayweather Sr. says that Golovkin has a better chin than Canelo, and that he’ll smother him in the same way that he smothered Kell Brook recently in stopping him in the 5th round in their mega-fight on September 10 of this month at the O2 Arena in London, England.
Brook had his moments in the fight, but eventually, Golovkin smothered him in the 5th round, which resulted in Brook’s trainer throwing in the towel to save his fighter from being badly hurt. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Ricky Hatton is picking WBA World lightweight champion Anthony Crolla (31-4-3, 13 KOs) to successfully defend his WBA title on Saturday night against challenger Jorge Linares (40-3, 27 KOs) at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, UK. Hatton doesn’t really say why he thinks the 29-year-old Crolla will win the fight other than him being a good body puncher.
Of course, the most obvious reason why you have to go with Crolla as the winner is because the fight is taking place in the UK. Having seen Crolla’s first fight against Darleys Perez, and his fights against Derry Mathews, and Gavin Rees, I think Crolla has been very, very lucky when it comes to the scoring of his fights. I had Crolla losing to Perez in their first fight, even with the referee taking points off from Perez in consecutive rounds in the 11th and 12th rounds. In my scoring, I had Crolla losing his second fight against Derry Mathews and in his fight against Gavin Rees. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: It looks like the heavyweight clash between unbeaten Hughie Fury (20-0, 10 KOs) and Andy Ruiz Jr. (29-0, 19 KOs) won’t be taking place on the undercard of the Tyson Fury vs. Wladimir Klitschko card next month on October 29 at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, UK. Hughie’s trainer/father Peter Fury tweeted a message today saying that Ruiz Jr. has pulled out of the card.
Hughie, 21, and Ruiz Jr. were supposed to be fighting in a World Boxing Organization heavyweight eliminator fight. The winner of the contest would have been the WBO mandatory to Tyson Fury. That would have setup a weird potential scenario where Tyson could be looking at defending against Hughie. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jim Dower: It’s no secret that it’s in the best interest of Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and his promoters at Golden Boy Promotions to drag out the mega-fight against middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin for as long as possible before they eventually put the fight together.
Canelo is 26 and still has a couple years before he hits his full prime of his career. Golovkin is about to turn 35, and he clearly doesn’t have too many more years ahead of him. If De La Hoya throws Canelo into the ring with Golovkin right now, he likely gets blasted apart in an embarrassing fashion.
What we saw of Canelo last Saturday in struggling to beat WBO junior middleweight champion Liam Smith by a 9th round knockout has confirmed in the minds of a lot of boxing fans that the red-haired Mexican star will be hopelessly over-matched when/if he faces Golovkin in the future.
A loss for Canelo could cause his loyal fan base to stop purchasing his fights on pay-per-view. Obviously, that would be a terrible thing for Golden Boy Promotions, considering that they don’t have a replacement pay-per-view attraction that can step in and take the place of Canelo.
That’s why might not see the Canelo-Golovkin fight take place in 2016, because it would likely be a disaster for Canelo and Golden Boy if he faces Golovkin and gets whipped badly.
The longer Golden Boy waits before putting Canelo in with Golovkin the better it is for their young star Canelo. If they can wait Golovkin out until he’s nearly shot, then it increases the chances of Canelo winning the fight. It’s tricky though. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Undefeated #6 WBA Murat Gassiev (23-0, 17 KOs) says he’ll be gunning for a knockout on December 3rd when he challenges IBF/WBA Super World cruiserweight champion Denis Lebedev (29-2, 22 KOs) in Moscow, Russia. The 22-year-old Gassiev, who comes from Vladikavkaz, Russia, will be coming into the fight with a big advantage in height and age against the 37-year-old Lebedev. There are a lot of boxing fans that are excited about Gassiev, as he’s got true one-punch power with either hand. Gassiev is someone appears to be heading for stardom in the cruiserweight division. He’s like a small Mike Tyson with the way he punches. He doesn’t Tyson’s speed, but his power is devastating to say the least. Gassiev has the kind of power that KO anyone in the division.
That doesn’t mean he’s absolutely going to win, but it could be a factor in this fight if he can get his shots off. Gassiev has crushing punching power with both hands, but he tends to wait a long time in between letting his shots go. That might not be a good idea for Gassiev to be economical against the hard hitting 5’11” Lebedev on December 3, because the fight could be over before he even gets a chance to throw anything if he waits too long. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: In what appears to be a case of Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya letting middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin know that he had better accept the eight-figure offer given to him for a fight against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, De La Hoya is saying that he wishes Golovkin luck trying to find another fighter that will give him the same money that he’s offering him for a fight next year.
De La Hoya has reportedly offered Golovkin $10 million for a fight that some boxing fans think could make more than $100 million. De La Hoya says that Golovkin needs to accept the offer given to him. He says Golovkin can make more with the pay-per-view upside he’ll be getting for the fight. Just how much extra money Golovkin can make is unclear. Read the rest of this entry »