Boxing News - Latest Headlines


title Hasegawa Destroys Faccio

hasegawa4646.jpgBy Francisco Chantengo: Making his sixth defense of his WBC bantamweight title, champion Hozumi Hasegawa (24-2, 8 KOs) made easy work of his challenger Cristian Faccio (15-3, 10 KOs), stopping him in the 2nd round of a scheduled 12-round title bout on Wednesday night at the Nihon Budokan, in Tokyo, Japan. Hasegawa, 27, was never troubled by the #9th ranked WBC bantamweight challenger Facio, whom he dropped twice in the second round with big left hands. On the second knockdown, the referee Toby Gibson suddenly called a halt to the bout at 2:18 of the 2nd round.

It appeared, however, that Faccio was okay, could still fight and was mostly knocked down because Hasegawa had chased Faccio around the ring and tagged him with a combination while having a running start. Nevertheless, Faccio would have likely been stopped anyway, because the first knockdown, a huge left hand blast from Hasegawa, was a huge shot that dropped Faccio on the seat of his pants at the very start of the round. From there, it was all Hasegawa as he teed-off on Faccio, hitting him with tremendous left hands as he attempted to retreat around the ring and buy some time. Read the rest of this entry »



title Haye Interested In Bout With Peter

peter45671.jpgBy Aaron Klein: WBA/WBO cruiserweight champion David Haye (21-1, 20 KOs) received a bit of good news on when he found out that he had been received an incredible number #5 ranking in the WBC heavyweight division, bringing him only a short distance from being the number #1 mandatory for WBC heavyweight champion Samuel Peter’s title. According to an interview with Setanta Sports News, Haye, 27, is interested in a fight with Peter before Haye fights Wladimir Klitschko.

As usual, Haye is jumping a little ahead of himself, namely because Klitschko hasn’t of yet agreed to fight Haye, instead telling him to gain weight and get in line with the other heavyweights trying to get a bout with him. Not to be dissuaded, Haye instead intends on going for what Klitschko values the most – a heavyweight title belt – and if Haye can get Peter to give him shot, and possibly beat him, then Klitschko would naturally be more than interested in fighting Haye in order to grab another title to his growing collection. Read the rest of this entry »



title De La Hoya: “One more [Fight] and that’s it”

dela-hoya35353.jpgBy Eric Thomas: In the latest boxing news, Oscar De La Hoya (39-5, 30 KOs) perhaps still smarting from the rejection by light welterweight Ricky Hatton, who declined to step in and fight De La Hoya in September, as well as Floyd Mayweather Jr’s recent retirement, De La Hoya told Reuters on Wednesday, “One more and that’s it. This is my final year. I’m doing one fight and hanging up the gloves.” De La Hoya also had comments directed for Mayweather, saying “The time is running out. If Mayweather is playing these little games thinking he can catch me at an older age next year, it’s not going to happen. It has to happen by this year.”

It seems that De La Hoya hasn’t given up on his number one goal, a second fight with Mayweather, which would obviously bring De La Hoya another huge payday before he hangs up the boxing gloves. The two had been scheduled to fight on September 20th, but Mayweather blew those plans last week, when he suddenly announced his retirement from boxing, and said that it would be “permanent.” De La Hoya, whom had been counting on that fight a great deal, was left with no dancing partner for his September open date. Read the rest of this entry »



title Pacquiao vs. Hatton: Is This a Sporting Fight?

By Jim Dower: After watching Ricky Hatton struggle against Juan Lazcano, looking good at times and appearing a little washed up as a fighter at other times, I wonder whether Hatton should opt for a fight against super featherweight Manny Pacquiao. First of all, I don’t think it’s a fight that Hatton could win at this point in his career judging by his recent performances against Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Lazcano, fights which seemed to indicate that Hatton was on the downside of his career. Most importantly, however, is the question of fairness. Read the rest of this entry »



title Andy Lee Makes His Boxing Comeback On July 19th

lee773331.jpgBy Scott Gilfoid: Irish middleweight Andy Lee (15-1, 12 KOs) makes his boxing comeback on July 19th against a still to be determined opponent in Limerick, Ireland. Lee, who turns 24 today, was shockingly stopped in the 7th round in his last fight against Brian Vera (16-1, 10 KOs), a former participant from The Contender reality television series on ESPN. Lee came into the fight a big favorite, with many boxing experts, including Lee’s trainer Emanuel Steward, hyping him and saying that he’s a future champion in the making.

In Steward’s case, he went even one step further, claiming that Lee would be a champion within the year and would defeat middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik to take his title. In hindsight, Steward seemed drunk with glory, thinking way too much of Lee’s easy wins over mostly soft set-up fights which were designed for Lee to look good in. That was supposed to be the case for his fight against Vera, a 26 year-old slugger known for being a heavy pressure fighter with mostly crude skills. Read the rest of this entry »



title Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Matt Vanda on July 12th

chavez9783354.jpgBy Manuel Perez: Undefeated light middleweight prospect Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (36-0-1, 29 KOs) will be making his toughest fight of his short career when he takes on Matt Vanda (38-6, 21 KOs) in a scheduled 12-round bout at the Monterrey, in Nuevo León, Mexico, on July 12th. Chavez Jr., 22, the son of the famous former boxing champion Julio Cesar Chavez, is hoping to get an impressive win against the 29 year-old Vanda. Chavez Jr., despite being the son of a former great, hasn’t looked good in quite some time in spite of his still unbeaten record.

Against C-class fighters like Ray Sanchez, Jose Celaya and Tobia Giuseppe Loriga, Chavez Jr. has had to work especially hard to pull out victories, getting hit often and appearing slow. His boxing fans have been quick to point out that he’s only 22, that he’s had virtually no amateur boxing career to speak of before turning and that he’s only now learning how to properly fight. However, Chavez Jr. seems to be missing something in a lot of areas at once, starting with his low punch output problem. That factor in itself has been a problem that’s plagued him constantly in his last three fights, in which he would stand around and wait for too long before letting his hands ago. Read the rest of this entry »



title Can Pavlik Win a 12-round Boxing Match With Calzaghe?

calzaghe656461.jpgBy Sean McDaniel: While I was watching undefeated WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik (34-0, 30 KOs) dispatch his latest challenger Gary Lockett in the 3rd round on Saturday night, I noticed that Pavlik seemed to lacking in both speed and boxing skills in the fight, something that would likely be exposed if he were to step it up a couple of notches against a much better fighter than Lockett. This in fact might be about to happen, as Pavlik has been pressing hard for a bout against the undefeated super middleweight champion from Wales Joe Calzaghe (45-0, 32 KOs). As of now, nothing has been ironed out between Calzaghe’s promoter Frank Warren and the promoter of Pavlik, Bob Arum, but both parties on working hard at trying to come to an agreement that would be suitable to both fighters.

Pavlik, as good as he looked against a very limited Lockett on Saturday night, has no idea what he’s about to be getting himself into by facing Calzaghe. In watching Pavlik, he has none of the boxing skills of a fighter like super middleweight Mikkel Kessler or even someone like light heavweight Bernard Hopkins, arguably the two toughest opponents of Calzaghe’s long 15-year boxing career. Read the rest of this entry »



title Povetkin vs. Sykes On July 19th

By Jason Kim: In a stay busy fight, number #1 ranked IBF challenger undefeated Alexander Povetkin (15-0, 11 KOs) will face journeyman fighter Taurus Sykes (25-4-1, 7 KOs) in a scheduled 10-round bout on July 19th at the Olimpyskiy Sports Palace, in Chekhov, Russia. Povetkin, 28, has been forced to wait on IBF heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko, who instead of defending his IBF heavyweight title against the well deserving Povetkin, he’s opted instead to take on what many boxing fans and experts feel is the easier fight against heavyweight Tony Thompson, Wladimir’s #1 ranked contender for his WBO heavyweight title. Read the rest of this entry »



title Who Will Be De La Hoya’s Next Lucky Opponent?

de-la-hoya4364643.jpgBy William MacKay: For a fighter as popular and as wealthy as Oscar De La Hoya (39-5, 30 KOs), he sure has had a bad week. Not only did he lose out on a huge potential multi-million dollar payday when his September 20th opponent Floyd Mayweather Jr. abruptly retired from boxing, but he then had his second choice Ricky Hatton flatly refuse to fight him. Most people would naturally assume that Hatton either much have rocks in his head or took too many head shots in his recent struggle against Juan Lazcano. After all, what fighter would turn down a monstrous payday against De La Hoya in order to fight IBF light welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi, a fighter that only boxing insiders have any clue to who he is.

Nevertheless, it’s not over yet, and De La Hoya may end up persuading Hatton to take the fight after all. De La Hoya isn’t one of the best businessmen in boxing for nothing, and once he gets talking to Hatton, I’d be willing to bet he’ll get him to come around. Short of that, De La Hoya has a lot of other choices, though many of them are far less appealing for obvious reasons than Hatton. The first names that jump out at me are welterweight champions Antonio Margarito and Miguel Cotto, both of which are fighting it out on July 26th for Cotto’s WBA welterweight title. However, one of them will be eliminated by virtue of the loss (unless it’s a draw, of course), but even the winner has to do it in an impressive manner or risk losing a shot in the De La Hoya sweepstakes. Read the rest of this entry »



title Pacquaio Interested In Hatton Bout

pacquiao544.jpgBy Scott Gilfoid: In the ultimate in overreach on his part, WBC super featherweight champion Manny Pacquiao (46-3-2, 35 KOs) is reportedly interested in a bout with light welterweight former champion Ricky Hatton (43-1, 31 KOs) in the near future. First, however, Pacquiao has to deal with WBC lightweight champion David Diaz, with whom Pacquiao is scheduled to fight later this month on June 28th, at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, in Las Vegas, Nevada. That in itself will be a rather difficult task for the 29 year-old Pacquiao in that he’s moving up five pounds in weight to fight Diaz at the 135 pound lightweight class.

If, however, Pacquiao can get by Diaz, then there’s a chance for to arrange a fight with Hatton, if he’s interested. According to reports, Ricky’s father has said that they’re interested in the idea, though a lot of this also hinges on whether Ricky is successful in his upcoming bout with IBF light welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi later on this year. Pacquiao is said to be willing to fight wherever Hatton wants, even if it means having to travel all the way to England and fight in front of Hatton’s often loud Manchester crowd. Pacquiao, it seems, is willing to take the risk in order to get the biggest payday of his career by far. Read the rest of this entry »



The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of BoxingNews24 or its affiliates.

Privacy Statement l Back to top of page l Cookies Policy l Boxing Resources l Contact Us