By Allan Fox: If former super middleweight champion Andre Ward (29-0, 15 KOs) puts in another less than impressive performance in his next fight against 39-year-old Alexander Brand (25-1, 19 KOs), it won’t be due to him not being full prepared for the fight. Ward is working hard in training camp to get ready for his interim fight against the little known Brand at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California.
HBO will be televising the fight, which figures to be a mismatch. Ward has taken flak for fighting an old 168lb fighter rather than a guy from the 175lb division.
Ward, 31, hasn’t looked great in his last two fights against Sullivan Barrera and Paul Smith after coming off of a two-year layoff. Read the rest of this entry »
By Gerardo Granados: This Saturday on July 23 at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, light welter WBC titlist Victor Postol and WBO titlist Terence Crawford will not only try to unify, but also the winner will get the prestigious Ring Magazine light welterweight Championship belt.
Currently the light welterweight Ring Magazine belt is vacant, and according to the Ring Magazine rules to fulfill the vacancies, when the ranked number one (Postol) and number two (Crawford) fight each other the winner can be awarded the Championship belt.
So, this Saturday we the fight fans will have the chance to know the name of the fighter who will continue a large boxing tradition, adding his name to an exclusive list of previous champions: Duilio Loi, Eddie Perkins, Carlos Hernandez, Sandro Lopopolo, Takeshi Fuji, Nicolino Locche, Alfonso Frazer, Antonio Cervantes, Wilfred Benitez, Aaron Pryor, Kostya Tszyu, Ricky Hatton, Manny Pacquiao and Danny Garcia. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya is claiming that his fighter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will be fighting the best junior middleweight in the division on September 17 in his fight against WBO 154lb champion Liam Smith (23-0-1, 13 KOs).
De La Hoya says that the reasons why they selected Smith for Canelo is because he’s an undefeated champion and the best fighter in the division. It’s interesting that De La Hoya sees the 27-year-old Smith as the No.1 fighter at junior middleweight, because that belief runs counter to how the boxing world sees him. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn says he’s considering the recently beaten 37-year-old unranked BJ Flores (32-2-1, 20 KOs) as his fighter WBC cruiserweight champion Tony Bellew’s next opponent in October. This would be a voluntary defense for Bellew despite the fact that he’s supposed to be defending his title against his WBC mandatory challenger Mairis Briedis under the World Boxing Council’s own rules.
Briedis, 31, is still a possibility for Bellew, but Hearn is interested in matching Bellew against Flores, who was recently soundly beaten by interim WBA cruiserweight champion Beibut Shumenov last year by a one-sided 12 round unanimous decision in July 2015. Flores isn’t ranked in the top 15 by any of the four sanctioning bodies. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Former two-division world champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (47-1-1, 33 KOs) says he’s not sure when he’ll be making his move up in weight to the middleweight division. He says he’ll wait until his body tells him to make the move. What this means is that Canelo could opt to stay at 154 longer than people thought he would.
Canelo surprised boxing fans recently when he chose to move off his self-created 155lb division to sign for a title fight against WBO junior middleweight champion Liam Smith (23-0-1, 13 KOs) for a fight on September 17 at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: Trainer Freddie Roach believes his fighter WBC light welterweight champion Viktor Postol (28-0, 12 KOs) is better than WBO 140lb champion Terence Crawford (28-0, 20 KOs), and he sees the 5’11” Ukrainian beating him on Saturday night.
Roach says he saw the 28-year-old Crawford coming out of the sauna this week, and he thinks he could be battling with the weight to get down to the 140lb limit for the fight. This could play into Postol’s hands if Crawford is weakened from losing weight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: In a clear sign that Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is focused on matching his fighter Manny Pacquiao with one of his own Top Rank stable guys for his next fight on November 5, unbeaten WBA World welterweight champion Keith “One Time” Thurman (27-0, 22 KOs) has called Pacquiao out for his next fight, but there doesn’t appear to be any interest in him as an opponent. Thurman is the Gennady “GGG” Golovkin of the welterweight division in my view. Having Pacquiao fight Thurman is a MUCH bigger fight than throwing the Filipino fighter in with the rail thin Terence Crawford or Viktor Postol. Having Pacquiao fight Postol or Crawford is pretty much another Pacquiao vs. Tim Bradley 3 time of fight.
There apparently is no interest in having Thurman as Pacquiao’s next opponent, which is sad because I think Thurman would be a great opponent for Pacquiao. Arum is interested in matching Pacquiao against one of his Top Rank fighters: Terence Crawford, Jessie Vargas or Viktor Postol. Read the rest of this entry »
By Shaun La: I will be watching the Gennady Golovkin (35-0, 32 Knockouts) vs. Kell Brook (36-0, 25 Knockouts) bout come this September 10th, 2016, because I am a complete boxing fan. However, I completely disagree with this bout. Why? It is because Kell is moving up into a Middleweight division and even though he is one of the best welterweights in his own division, as well as the IBF champion—-fighting at a new weight for the first time could have all kinds of learning curves to it.
Confidently, I can state that I do not know enough about Kell’s boxing skills to fully elaborate on his boxing I.Q. It is not that Gennady cannot be figured out. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jeff Aranow: Unbeaten #1 IBF heavyweight contender Joseph Parker (20-0, 17 KOs) stayed in line for a mandated title shot against IBF champion Anthony Joshua by stopping the heavy puncher #11 WBA Solomon Haumono (24-3-2, 21 KOs) in the 4th round to stay undefeated on Thursday evening at the Horncastle Arena in Christchurch, New Zealand. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Former world title challenger Curtis Stevens (28-5, 21 KOs) is reportedly open to a fight against #2 WBA, #2 WBC Chris Eubank Jr. (23-1, 18 KOs) if he’s game. Stevens wasn’t too impressed with the way that Eubank Jr. talked up a fight against middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin recently but then failed to take the fight. Stevens, 31, thinks Eubank Jr. was scared to take the fight with Golovkin. After wasting his time and Golovkin’s time, Eubank Jr. failed to sign the contract to make the fight happen.
Stevens is impressed with Brook, because he sees him as a slick fighter with a lot of talent.
“Kell Brook is an excellent fighter,” said Stevens to skysports.com. “Gennady, Eubank Jr was scared to fight him, no one wants to fight him, so they made that fight happen.” Read the rest of this entry »