Boxing News - Latest Headlines


title Canelo must approve Golovkin deal

By Jim Dower: Oscar De La Hoya has pulled the verbal $15 million flat fee offer that he had previously made to Gennady Golovkin for a fight against his fighter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in September. This comes after the reports of Golovkin’s low pay-per-view numbers on HBO for his fight last Saturday night against Daniel Jacobs. The new offer that De La Hoya will be giving to Golovkin will be based on pay-per-view sales for the Canelo fight rather than a guaranteed purse. Read the rest of this entry »



title Jacobs will be a champion once Gennady leaves the division says Sanchez

By Eric Baldwin: IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez admired the job Danny Jacobs did last Saturday night in fighting Triple G hard for 12 rounds in a losing effort. It was a game performance by Jacobs, but not quite good enough for him to get the magical ‘W’ to become the No.1 fighter in the 160 lb. division. Sanchez says Jacobs will become a world champion against at middleweight once Golovkin moves out of the division to the 168 lb. division. Read the rest of this entry »



title Tyron Zeuge vs. Isaac Ekpo this Saturday

By Jim Dower: WBA World super middleweight champion Tyron Zeuge (19-0-1, 11 KOs) will be defending his title this Saturday night against #3 WBA Isaac Ekpo (31-2, 24 KOs) at the MBS Arena in Potsdam, in Brandenburg, Germany. The 24-year-old Zeuge is the favorite in the fight despite him struggling to beat Giovanni De Carolis. In their previous fight, Zeuge had fought to a controversial 12 round draw in July of last year in his home country of Germany. Read the rest of this entry »



title Kovalev says he’s signed contract for Ward rematch

By Allan Fox: Sergey Kovalev has announced that he’s signed his part of the rematch contract for his return fight against IBF/IWBA/WBO Andre Ward on Tuesday of this week. Kovalev (30-1-1, 26 KOs) says he’s now only waiting for Ward (31-0, 15 KOs) to sign his portion of the contract for the rematch to be on. Kovalev and Ward will be fighting on June 17 on HBO pay-per-view at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada . Read the rest of this entry »



title Chavez Jr: I’ll beat Golovkin at 168

By Allan Fox: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (50-2, 32 KOs) is already looking past his next opponent Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) towards a big money fight against unbeaten middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs). Chavez Jr. says he can beat Golovkin if he agrees to come up to 168 to fight him in the super middleweight division. The 6’0” Chavez Jr. feels that he’ll be too big for Golovkin if the two of them face each other. Read the rest of this entry »



title Robert Helenius vs. Dereck Chisora on May 27

By Scott Gilfoid: #13 IBF Robert Helenius (24-1, 15 KOs) will be fighting former heavyweight world title challenger Dereck Chisora (26-7, 18 KOs) in a World Boxing Council title eliminator on May 27 in a rematch at the Hartwall Arena in Helsinki, Finland. The winner of the Chisora vs. Helenius rematch will be the mandatory challenger to WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder. Chisora and Helenius will be fighting for the vacant WBC Silver heavyweight title on May 27. Read the rest of this entry »



title Jorge Linares vs. Anthony Crolla II – Official weights

By Scott Gilfoid: WBA World lightweight champion Jorge Linares (41-3, 27 KOs) weighed in successfully at 134 ¼ pounds for his weigh-in on Friday for his rematch against former WBA belt holder Anthony Crolla (31-5-3. 13 KOs) his Saturday night at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, England. Crolla weighed in at 134 ½ lbs. here wasn’t much animosity between Crolla and Linares during the stare down. It was more like two friends than two guys about to go into combat. Read the rest of this entry »



title Golovkin, Tyson, and the Myth of the Indestructible Boxer

By Joseph Hirsch – Gennady Golovkin’s twenty-three knockout streak ended after he won a close but unanimous decision over Danny “the Miracle Man” Jacobs. For Golovkin’s faithful fans, this is proof only that Danny Jacobs’ decision to skip a mandatory weigh-in was a sneaky tactic to come in bigger than his opponent, and that Jacobs only went the distance with the “God of War” by gaming the system.

For those who doubted Golovkin from the beginning, complaining about the quality of his opposition, the Jacobs fight served as confirmation for their view that Golovkin can look great against a good foe, but is susceptible to being out-boxed by a slick, elite fighter with a cute style. Read the rest of this entry »



title De La Hoya says Golovkin fighting Saunders in June is disrespectful

By Dan Ambrose: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya says that if Gennady Golovkin goes ahead and fights Billy Joe Saunders for his WBO middleweight title in June, it would be disrespectful to them and his fighter Saul Canelo Alvarez. De La Hoya wants Golovkin to sit idle waiting for the fight in September against Canelo, because he thinks it will be too risky and could get in the way of the Canelo fight. Read the rest of this entry »



title Jason Quigley vs. Glen Tapia – Results

By Jim Dower: Unbeaten middleweight prospect Jason “El Animal” Quigley (13-0, 10 KOs) was forced to battle hard to defeat Glen Tapia (23-4, 5 KOs) by an unimpressive 10 round unanimous decision on Thursday night in a fight televised by ESPN at the Fantasy Springs Casino in Indio, California. The final judges’ scores were 100-90, 99-91 and 98-92. Read the rest of this entry »



Privacy Statement l Back to top of page l Cookies Policy l Contact Us