By Allan Fox: Main Events promoter Kathy Duva says her fighter Sergy “Krusher” Kovaelv (30-1-1, 26 KOs) beat challenger Andre “SOG” Ward (31-0, 15 KOs) last Saturday night in their fight on HBO pay-per-view, and that they’ll beat him again in the rematch that they’re asking for. Unfortunately for Duva, the three judges that worked the fight – Burt Clements, Glenn Trowbridge and John Mckaie – felt differently in scoring the fight for Ward 114-113, 114-113 and 114-113.
Duva says that Kovalev deserved to win the 10th round, which all three judges scored for Ward. If Kovalev had won the 10th round on all three judges; scorecards, he would have won the fight. The 10th round was a difficult one to score, however. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis expects the Anthony Joshua vs. Wladimir Klitschko fight to take place in the near future. Lewis sees the 40-year-old Wladimir wanting to win back his IBF/WBA heavyweight world titles that he lost to Tyson Fury last year in November.
Wladimir would obviously prefer to fight the guy that beat him in Fury, but he can’t do that right now with him ot of the boxing ring taking care of personal problems. Lewis notes. So he sees Wladimir facing Joshua to win back his two of his straps that he lost to the 6’9” Fury a year ago. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: Manny Pacquiao is still waiting on a second fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. to try and avenge his loss from a year ago in 2015. The soon to be 38-year-old Pacquiao (59-6-2, 38 KOs) recently emerged from a seven-month retirement to defeat WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas by a 12 round unanimous decision in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Mayweather hasn’t given any indication whether he’ll be coming out of his now one-year retirement to resume his boxing career, even though he could make a bundle fighting Pacquiao a second time. Mayweather has made a fortune during his career, and he’s also made wise investments. He doesn’t need to fight anymore with the kind of money he’s made. Read the rest of this entry »
By Eric Baldwin: In what could be terrible news for #3 WBA heavyweight contender Lucas “Big Daddy” Browne (24-0, 21, he’s reportedly allegedly tested positive for a second random drug test for 2016, which makes it highly unlikely that he’ll be able to fight #5 WBA Shannon Briggs (60-6-1, 53 KOs) for the vacant World Boxing Association title.
It’s unknown if Browne will get a chance to have another sample tested to prove that he’s clean. The Browne team has yet to speak on the alleged positive test results for the banned substance. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: After the way British heavyweights Dillian Whyte and Dereck Chisora were trying to get at each other recently during the filming of the ‘Gloves are off’ special, the British Boxing Board of Control has advised that the two heavyweights be kept apart until their fight next month on December 10 at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, England.
The BBBofC wants to make sure there are no problems between the two that could lead to a blow up. However, Whyte’s promoter Eddie Hearn wants to have at least one face-off between Whyte and Chisora for the boxing fans in the buildup to the fight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: WBO super featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko could be facing Manny Pacquiao in 2017 if he gets past former WBA 126lb champion Nicholas Walters this Saturday night in their fight on HBO World Championship Boxing from the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum reminded fans on Monday that he’s interested in putting the two-time Olympic gold medalist Lomachenko (6-1, 4 KOs) in with Pacquiao possibly next year if he keeps winning. Unfortunately for Arum, Lomachenko, 28, might lost his fight this Saturday night against Walters, because this is a guy with crashing power, a long reach, and top rate boxing skills. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: Andre Ward (31-0, 15 KOs) says his game plan was to anger IBF/WBA/WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey “Krusher” Kovalev (30-1-1, 26 KOs) last Saturday night by talking to him and frustrating him in their fight at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Ward said his trainer Virgil Hunter told him to intentionally make the 33-year-old Kovalev angry, because he felt that he was angry type of fighter that wears his emotions on his sleeves.
Ward then went about doing that last Saturday by doing things like talking, faking bolo punches, and wrestling with him on the inside. Ward says that Kovalev had no inside game to speak of, so he worked him over in close. Ward points out that Kovalev tried to tell everyone that he was a dirty fighter, but referee Robert Byrd wasn’t buying into any of it. Ward had the advantage in boxing skills and the inside game against Kovalev. That was clear. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: WBO super featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko (6-1, 4 KOs) will be defending his title this Saturday night against unbeaten former WBA featherweight champion Nicholas “Axe Man” Walters (26-0-1, 21 KOs) in the biggest fight of his career on HBO Boxing from the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The Lomachenko-Walters fight has a start time at 10:35 p.m. ET/PT. It should be a good fight. Walters is the underdog, but it doesn’t matter. It’s an even fight. Walters just needs to make sure the fight doesn’t go to the cards, because he’s clearly the B-side in this fight. Walters needs to make sure he leaves no doubt who the better fighter is between the two if he wants to rip Lomachenko’s WBO title from him. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: Sergey Kovalev has now experienced what it feels like to lose for the first time in his 12 round decision defeat at the hands of Andre “SOG” Ward from last Saturday night at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Now it’s a good time for Kovalev to accept his defeat mentally, give credit where credit is due, and learn from the loss.
Kovalev needs to lick his wounds from the battle, accept what has happened, and move on. If Kovalev, 33, and his promoter Kathy Duva want the rematch with Ward, then now is the time to make themselves heard by asking for it in a professional manner without anger or complaints. It doesn’t help things if they bitterly complain to the media about the decision from last Saturday against Ward. Read the rest of this entry »
By Shannon Friedrich: As the dust settles, the boxing community remains perplexed and partial to the decision given to Andre Ward for the IBF/WBO/WBA World Light Heavyweight Title on Saturday night in Las Vegas, Nevada. Many dedicated and casual boxing fans, pundits, ringside attendants, media boxing analysts, managers, promoters and professional fighters say it was a shutout win for Sergey Kovalev, with some claiming that Kovalev easily won up to potentially 9 rounds to Ward’s 3, as well as holding a 10/8 second round advantage.
On another hand, many of those people who watched the fight that night, whether ringside, at the venue or at home might have witnessed a very, very close fight that could have went either way, acknowledging that some, or many of the rounds were in fact so close that the fight could have gone to one man or the other. Read the rest of this entry »