By Dan Ambrose: Former WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (43-1-1, 31 KO’s) thinks he’ll have some temporary problems at the start of his catch-weight fight against Erislandy Lara (19-1-2, 12 KO’s) on July 12th, but after that he feels he’ll make the needed adjustments to defeat the Cuban fighter.
Canelo says that he’s already seen different things in the ring and that there’s nothing that he can do to surprise him in this fight. However, Canelo struggled to make adjustments in his fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr last September, and he ended up losing because of that. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: 42-year-old former WBO heavyweight champion Shannon Briggs (55-6-1, 48 KO’s) could be fighting for the vacant WBA heavyweight title belt this Sunday against Ruslan Chagaev (32-2-1, 20 KO’s) after Fres Oquendo reportedly pulled out of the fight with Chagaev, according to Fightnews.com.
The Chagaev-Oquendo fight was scheduled to take place this Sunday at the Ahmat Arena, in Grozny, Russia, but Oquendo pulled out of the fight for some unknown reason.
The people who put together the Chagaev-Oquendo card want it to go ahead, but they need a replacement for Oquendo, and that’s why Briggs was asked. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Former IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (29-3, 19 KO’s) was reportedly arrested earlier this morning on Friday after allegedly assaulting two teens on the street in Bolton. Read the rest of this entry »
By Gav Duthie: Over the course of the next two months boxing fans will get a chance to see no less than 9 hopefuls in action as we prepare for a new era post heavyweight domination of the Klitschko’s. As individuals I have been a big fan of the Ukrainian brothers. They’ve got class, dignity, speak 4 languages and they never trash talk.
It’s not their fault they are better than everyone else. That being said with Vitaly now retired and Wladimir soon to follow (I predict he will go if he wins the WBC) the heavyweight division will take a new shape and create much more interest with dozens of fighters looking to grab a title. Read the rest of this entry »
(Picture: Photo Wende) By Scott Gilfoid: WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck (37-2, 26 KO’s) will making an optional title defense on August 30th against #13 WBO Mirko Larghetti (21-0, 13 KO’s) of Italy in a fight that will be staged at a yet to be determined venue in Germany. Larghetti, 31, has faced mild competition during his 5-year pro career. Larghetti’s last win was against a fighter named Attila Palko (17-13, 13 KO’s) last month.
Huck will be making his 13th defense of his WBO title strap, although you can make an argument that he should have lost it already because he was clearly beaten by Ola Afolabi in their second fight in 2012. That was the fight that scored a 12 round draw in which Huck was dominated in the first 6 rounds, and he appeared to lose at least 2 of the last 6 rounds. Read the rest of this entry »
By Matt Plumridge: Hailing from the small island that is the UK we have some good things going for us. Everyone knows or has met the Beatles or the Queen; we like to drink our cups of tea; we stand in line, even when trying to escape from disaster; we all carry around giant red telephone boxes instead of smart phones and very, very occasionally we have a boxer that is ready to head over to the grand old US of A and show you people how to box.
In recent years the UK alumni has included such fistic exponents as Prince Naseem Hamed, Ricky Hatton, Joe Calzaghe, Lennox Lewis and most recently, Amir Khan. When this article is reprinted in about 5 years’ time – due to huge public demand no doubt – it will also include the graduation of a Special K, Ezekiel “Kell” Brook. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Paul Smith (35-3, 20 KOs) is on the verge of fighting for a world title for the first time in his 11-year pro career on September 27th against WBO super middleweight champion Arthur Abraham (40-4-, 28 KOs) in Berlin, Germany.
The weird part about it is that Smith really didn’t have to beat anyone to get the fight. While he’s won his last 4 fights, he’s done it against marginal fighters, and he’s beaten far better than those guys during his career.
It’s just luck on Smith’s part that the WBO gave him #6 ranking based on wins over David Sarabia (7-4-2, 2 KO’s), Jamie Ambler (10-56-2, 3 KO’s), Tony Dodson (30-8-1, 14 KO’s) and Tommy Tolan (4-15-1, 3 KO’s). Before Smith beat these guys, he’d been knocked out in the 2nd round by George Groves in 2011. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: #3 WBO Matt Korobov’s 10 round unanimous decision win over Jose Uzcategui last Saturday night earned the 31-year-old Russian fighter a title shot against WBO middleweight champion Peter Quillin (31-0, 22 KO’s)
On Thursday the WBO ordered Quillin and Korobov’s management to begin negotiations with 30 days to get the fight negotiated or else it’ll go to a purse bid.
This is a fight presents both fighters with a huge step up in class. Quillin has had things pretty easy during his career with him facing mostly weaker opposition. His big wins have come against Hassan N’Dam N’Jikam, Jesse Brinkley, and Gabriel Rosado. He didn’t look great in any of those fights, including in his last fight against Lukas Konecny. . Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Eddie Hearn is feeling ultra-confident that Kell Brook (32-0, 22 KO’s) will bag his first big win of his long 10-year career in his title challenge against IBF welterweight champion Shawn Porter (24-0-1, 15 KOs) on August 16h.
Hearn thinks he has the stronger fighter and the bigger guy, and that’s why he thinks that Brook will give Porter his first defeat of his career.
Having seen Brook’s last two fights against Alvaro Robles and Vyacheslav Senchenko, I wasn’t too impressed with what I saw from Brook in those fights. He proved to be easy to hit, and not much in the way of thinking on his feet. Senchenko had Brook staggering around, and Robles was hitting him at will. Luckily for Brook that Robles wasn’t a big puncher and that he was only 5’6”, because if the guy was bigger and stronger, he might have pulled off an upset in that fight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Francisco Gurrola: It has been sensed that perhaps in 2015 things will arrange themselves in a way that history could possibly be made.
There are a couple of factors involved, to which all would have to fall into place for the history of boxing to change. There has been talk of a possibly Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Manny Pacquiao fight and a possible Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Miguel Cotto in 2015.
It is imperative to know that before we jump into those fights, one of them a “dream fight” there has to be some determining factors involved. First as we all know the mentioned above opponents have to go through one more challenge before even getting close to the history fights. Read the rest of this entry »