By Jim Dower: Unbeaten WBO junior middleweight champion Demetrius Andrade (21-0, 14 KOs) will be back in action on December 6th or 13th in a fight on Showtime rather than HBO, according to Dan Rafael of ESPN.
Andrade, 26, will be moving over to Showtime to get dates, fights and money against possibly one of the Charlo brothers. Andrade has been fighting on HBO lately, but after a fight against Matt Korobov fell apart over money, Andrade decided to go in another direction with his career. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jaime Ortega: As a boxing fan and a journalist, I cringe every time I read comments regarding Manny Pacquiao fighting Mayweather Jr. A lot of Floyd fans give themselves the impression that Floyd is unbeatable. Floyd holds a favorable record of 47-0, that holds relevance in the boxing world. However, the assumption that he would knockout Pacquiao is about as absurd, as believing the fable of the coyote and the road runner.
Much of the present bashing came from Pacquiao losing the bout to Juan Manuel Marquez back in 2012. The knockout caught everyone by surprise, and left Pacquiao doubters with more doubts. That was it. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Two years after losing to former WBC champ Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, WBC interim middleweight champion Marco Antonio Rubio (59-6-1, 51 KOs) will be facing WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (30-0, 27 KOs) in 10 days on October 18th in a fight televised by HBO Championship Boxing at the StubHub Center, in Carson, California.
Rubio, 34, has gained a lot of confidence from being pumped up by his trainer Robert Garcia, who believes strongly that the hard hitting Rubio has a good chance of pulling off an upset in beating Golovkin. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson (24-1, 20 KOs) is saying that he wants to fight the winner of the November 8th unification fight between WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (25-0-1, 23 KOs) and IBF/WBA champion Bernard Hopkins (55-6-2, 32 KOs).
Stevenson, who just turned 37-years-old last month, says he’ll be attending the Hopkins-Kovalev fight next month presumably to scout out the winner.
“I will be ringside on November 8 for the fight of Bernard Hopkins vs Sergey Kovalev. I will fight the winner for the unification,” Stevenson said on his Facebook page. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Former two time WBC lightweight champion Jose Luis Castillo (66-12-1, 57 KOs) could wind up as the next opponent for former WBO light welterweight champion Ruslan Provodnikov (23-3, 16 KOs) to fight in Russia, according to Steve Kim.
Provodnikov, 30, will be fighting at the end of next month in November in Russia, and he’s in need of an opponent with a name. Provodnikov wanted to fight Brandon Rios and Tim Bradley, but neither of those fighters were available to him. Castillo, 40, is a possibility for the Russian fighter.
It’s kind of disturbing to think of a fighter as small as Castillo fighting a puncher like Provodnikov, because it’s a mismatch in power and age. Provodnikov is much young strong and young for a guy like Castillo at this point. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr (47-0, 26 KOs) is down to his last two fights of his contract with Showtime/CBS, and many people in the boxing community believe that a fight between him and WBO champ Manny Pacquiao will never come off.
Mayweather’s father/trainer Floyd Sr says that he’s confident that Mayweather will be fighting Pacquiao before he hangs up his gloves in the future. Floyd Sr isn’t dead certain it’s going to be happen, but he’s still very, very confident the fight will take place.
“I’m pretty sure he’s [Mayweather] going to get Pacquiao. It’s going to happen,” Floyd Sr said to Fighthype.com. “Trust me. That fight’s definitely going to happen.”
If anyone knows about whether the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight is going to happen, it’s Floyd Sr, because he knows how his son Mayweather Jr thinks. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao’s longtime adviser Michael Koncz is currently hospitalized in the Philippines with blood clots in one of his legs. He’s already had one operation to remove the clots, and he’s going to need a second one on the problem, according to the Manila Standard. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: #15 IBF Jermain Taylor (32-4-1, 20 KOs) will be looking to upset the boxing odds tonight against the awkward IBF middleweight champion Sam Soliman (44-11, 18 KOs) in their title fight on ESPN2 at the Beau Rivage Resort & Casino, in Biloxi, Mississippi, USA.
Taylor’s career was thought to be over 5 years ago following back to back knockout losses to Carl Froch and Arthur Abraham. But after taking two years off from boxing, Taylor came back in 2011 and he’s put together a nice little 4-fight winning streak to get him ranked in the top 15 by the IBF to get tonight’s title shot.
It’s one of those miracle situations that Taylor finds himself in, and he has an excellent chance of shocking the world by making his comeback complete by upsetting the champion Soliman on ESPN2. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Boxing fans are in for a real treat tonight with #9 WBC, #14 WBA Andre Dirrell (22-1, 15 KOs) back in action tonight on ESPN2 in fighting little known Nick Brinson (16-2-2, 6 KOs) in a 10 round fight at the Beau Rivage Resort & Casino, in Biloxi, Mississippi, USA.
Dirrell, 31, weighed in at 169 pounds on Tuesday at the weigh-in for their fight at light heavyweight. Brinson came in at 168.8 pounds.
While the Dirrell-Brinson fight will be taking place on the undercard of the Jermain Taylor vs. Sam Soliman fight, it’s likely to steal the show due to Dirrell looking to make a strong impression on the nationwide audience that will be tuning in to watch the fight. Dirrell will have a great opportunity to show his stuff in this showcase fight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: The purse bid for the Viktor Postol (26-0, 11 KOs) and WBA/WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia (29-0, 17 KOs) has been moved again by the World Boxing Council (WBC), according to Dan Rafael of ESPN.
The date was supposed to have been on October 6th, but it’s now been moved to October 20th. This is the 4th time the purse bid has been moved. It was originally supposed to take place on September 12th. It was then moved to October 1st, and then October 6th. It’s now scheduled for October 20th. Read the rest of this entry »