By Dan Ambrose: Former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (46-1-1, 32 KO’s) was really smacked around today in his hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission to determine his case for his positive marijuana test from his last fight against Sergio Martinez last year on September 15h.
Chavez Jr. basically threw himself on the mercy of the Commission. He had no real concrete reasons why he chose to use marijuana in the weeks before his fight with Martinez. The only thing Chavez Jr. could say is he smoked in nine days before the fight in order to relieve stress. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer says Floyd Mayweather Jr. DOES have interest in facing WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in the future, but he’s just not interested in signing a contract to fight him right now with an important bout against Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero looming ahead on May 4th. Mayweather wants to focus 100% on that fight and then see where he’s afterwards.
Schaefer said to Yahoo Sports News “Floyd told us he didn’t have a problem fighting Canelo, but he wasn’t going to sign anything now. He said ‘All of my focus is on Guerrero,’ and I’m not signing anything to fight anybody until after that fight is over.’” Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Floyd Mayweather Jr. stands to make between $200-250 million for his six-fight contract with Showtime/CBS IF he completes it within the 30 months allotted in his contract. One person who doubts that Mayweather will get through the six fights is his friend 50 Cent. He doubts Mayweather will complete the contract for some reason.
50 Cent said to RingTV “If they can keep exciting enough opponents in front of him to continue sustaining a million views, it’ll make sense. If he starts to fight guys that don’t…if he actually fulfills, I doubt it.” Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: One of the negative aspects of the fight between WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and WBA Champ Austin Trout being moved from the May 4th fight card in Las Vegas, Nevada to the Astrodome in San Antonio, Texas on April 20th is that Trout may need a knockout to ensure he wins the fight.
The Astrodome has a seating capacity of 72,000, and I expect that they could have a crowd of 30,000+ Canelo fans that will be cheering for everything he does in the fight while ignoring everything that Trout does. Read the rest of this entry »
By Eric Thomas: 48-years-old is awfully old for someone to still be fighting in the sport of boxing, especially someone still fighting on a high level. Former two division world champion Bernard Hopkins (52-6-2, 32 KO’s) will find out if he’s got enough youth left to beat IBF light heavyweight champion Tavoris Cloud (24-0, 19 KO’s) on March 9th at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
As good as Hopkins has been during his 25-year professional career, he’s not won a fight in two years, and he’s not looked good.
In his last win over Jean Pascal in May, 2011, Hopkins was very impressive, getting the better of the younger Pascal with combinations, and using movement and inside fighting to dominate the fight in winning a 12 round decision. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Promoter Frank Maloney had British/Commonwealth heavyweight champion David Price (15-1, 13 KO’s) producing good cash as he steamed along on course for what would have been a nice payday bout against one of the heavyweight world champions Klitschko brothers.
Unfortunately, a 41-year-old American heavyweight with a pot belly knocked the Price off the tracks by knocking him out in the 2nd round last Saturday night in Liverpool, UK. Incredibly, Maloney believes this will be a mere six-month setback for Price, and believes he’ll be fighting for a world title in the near future.
As sorry as the heavyweight division is, it’s definitely possible for Price to be fighting for a world title in a short period of time despite having been beaten by Thompson. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: WBA junior middleweight champion Austin Trout (26-0, 14 KO’s) doesn’t much care that he and WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (41-0-1, 30 KO’s) won’t be fighting on the May 4th undercard of the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Robert Guerrero fight due to Mayweather failing to sign a contract to fight Canelo on September 14th.
Trout saw that fight as still not happening even if Mayweather did agree to fight Canelo because Trout sees himself beating Canelo when they fight on April 20th at the Astrodome in San Antonio, Texas.
Trout said to RingTV “That’s alright [Trout and Canelo not fighting on May 4th], because he [Canelo] still won’t make it to Mayweather. He will not make it to Floyd Mayweather because he’s going to lose to me.” Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: The co-main event on the May 4th fightcard took a hit today with the news that WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez pulling out of the card after failing to get an agreement from WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. to fight him on September 14th.
In place of Canelo in the main event, Golden Boy is reportedly thinking of adding either super bantamweight Leo Santa Cruz (23-0-1, 13 KO’s) or junior middleweight Alfredo Angulo (22-2, 18 KO’s). Both are Mexican, and it would interest the Mexican fans celebrating the Cinco de Mayo holiday during the weekend of the Mayweather vs. Robert Guerrero pay-per-view fight card. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: WBA World junior middleweight champion Austin Trout (26-0, 14 KO’s) says WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez’s handlers [read: Richard Schaefer, Oscar De La Hoya, More!] didn’t want him to fight him because of the high risk involved for Canelo.
Trout says he’s happy the 22-year-old Canelo agreed to fight him, but he’s going to prove that Canelo’s handlers were right in their wishes to keep Canelo far, far away from him.
Canelo and Trout will be fighting on April 20th at the Alamodome, in San Antonio, Texas, USA. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: Floyd Mayweather Jr. failed to agree to fight WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in September, and Canelo has now pulled out of Mayweather’s May 4th pay-per-view card in response. If this was supposed to bother Mayweather I think it’s a fail because Mayweather isn’t going to be bothered by not having Canelo on his undercard.
I think Mayweather made the fight decision by not agreeing to fight Canelo on September 14th because is not a junior middleweight. He’s barely a welterweight, and having to fight someone that is going to have a big weight and power advantage over him isn’t worth the trouble. Read the rest of this entry »