By Bill Mitchell: While it’s usually Floyd Mayweather (43-0, 26 KO’s) who hypes the fight, six time champion Robert Guerrero (31-1-1, 18 KOs), wasted no time firing the first shot in his upcoming fight with Floyd Mayweather. Guerrero, in a phone interview with AP, began trash talking the champion by saying he observed slippage in Mayweather. That his legs are slowing down at 36 years of age and that he picks and chooses his opponents. Guerrero also suggested fans can earn a lot of money by wagering on him with the high odds being given in Las Vegas. Recently, Guerrero tweeted to Mayweather “hope u liked working corners I’m gonna make it permanent pretty boy! The fans want it 70 days left buddy”
Guerrero’s convinced Mayweather doesn’t realize what he’s getting into. That with Mayweather’s recent stint in jail and being out of the ring for a year, he’ll have too much ring rust to deal with Guererro’s aggressive style . Guerrero also said, and this is a quote “I was put in this position not only to humble the boxing world, but to humble Floyd Mayweather. I have a lot of faith that I’m going to go in there and dominate this fight.” Read the rest of this entry »
By Steven Ocallaghan: It looks like time has ran out on David Haye finally getting a crack at long time WBC heavyweight world champ Vitali Klitschko. Vitali had said that the deal was on the table for Haye but he turned that down. Haye had unfinished business with Derrick Chisora, so I can understand why that fight didn’t happen. The thing I can’t understand is why Vitali was willing to fight Haye last year but not now, so what is different?
Vitali is now 41 years old, 9 years older than Haye. Vitali is becoming more injury prone now. When Klitschko lost his first fight in defending his WBO heavyweight title against Chris Byrd, nearly 13 years ago, he dislocated his shoulder and the fight was then stopped. Vitali was easily winning the fight. If Vitali had managed to continue and lost all remaining rounds he would still have won the fight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Babatis Banda: Floyd Mayweather Jnr 43-0-26 the undisputed P4P king is fighting Guerrero on May 4. Guerrero is tipped to cause an upset based on his good record and the fact that he is young, unbeaten for the last 6 years and coming off a decent win over Andre Berto, a worthy top welter weight.
His rugged and sometimes rough fighting style is expected to cause problems for the aging 36 year old Mayweather Jnr. What seems to stir hope both for Guerrero and those itching for the 1st Mayweather dent is the last Mayweather versus Cotto fight.
In that fight, we saw Floyd bleed from a broken nose, courtesy of Cotto’s hard sharp jab. It is the bleeding that brought some excitement for those that dislike Mayweather but other than that, there is very little to talk about because Floyd really plastered Cotto and he had the cleaner landing hard shots that also busted Cotto’s nose and marked his face worse. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Former IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (27-3, 19 KO’s) will be continuing with his rebuilding of his once promising career when he faces 33-year-old Julio Diaz (40-7-1, 29 KO’s) on April 27th in the UK at a still to be determined venue.
Diaz said to thesun.co.uk “We are waiting for official confirmation from the Khan Camp but as of now they have my contract which I have signed. We have reached an agreement on a deal and everything is secure.” Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Heavyweight Chris Arreola (35-2, 30 KO’s) is sick with bronchitis and his scheduled March 9th WBC heavyweight eliminator fight against Bermane Stiverne (22-1-1, 20 KO’s) will have to be postponed for five to six weeks, according to Dan Rafael.
The undercard fights will still go ahead as scheduled at The Hanger in Costa Mesa, California. This is the third time that the Arreola-Stiverne fight has been postponed, and it almost seems like the fight itself is doomed in some way.
Arreola got sick last weekend and he’s sick enough to be ready to go by March 9th. The winner of the Arreola vs. Stiverne fight will become the mandatory challenger for WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitachko. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer still isn’t sure if the unification bout between WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (41-0-1, 30 KO’s) and WBA champion Austin Trout (26-0, 14 KO’s) will be taking place on the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Robert Guerrero undercard on May 4th.
According to Steve Kim, Schaefer is hoping to find out in the next 24 hours if the Canelo-Trout bout is possible for the undercard or if Canelo will be facing another opponent instead. We could see Canelo facing another beatable fighter in order to keep the Canelo training going long enough for him to get a fight against Mayweather.
So what’s the hold up? It’s got to be money related because Trout is a champion and he’s likely not going to be as cheap as the weak fodder opposition that Golden Boy has been matching against Canelo for a number of years. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Former WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz (29-4-2, 22 KO’s) says he’s going to stick it out at welterweight rather than moving up to junior middleweight because he says he wants to beat all the top guys at 147 first before he moves up to 154 to face WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez.
Ortiz, 26, hasn’t fought since he was stopped by Josesito Lopez last June in the 9th round after suffering a broken jaw in two places.
Ortiz said to RingTV “I am gonna stay at 147 pounds for a little bit longer I’m sure, just because I wanna clean the division…I wanna show that I am that pound-for-pound 147. Once I’m done there, definitely 154, that’s next.” Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: With the hard hitting and very dangerous #6 WBC Jay Velez out of the way due to an injury he recently suffered, WBC featherweight champion Daniel Ponce De Leon (44-4, 35 KO’s) will now be defending his World Boxing Council 126 pound title against former two division world champion Abner Mares (25-0-1, 13 KO’s) on April 20th in a fight that will be televised on Showtime at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California, according to RingTV.
Mares said this on his social media site tonight: “Done deal! We will be fighting Daniel Ponce for his WBC title this April 20.” Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Heavyweight David Price (15-1, 13 KO’s) has had time to talk it over with his promoter Frank Maloney, and he’s decided that he would like a rematch against American Tony Thompson (37-3, 25 KO’s). Price is even willing to travel to the United States to fight Thompson in his home country in order to get the fight.
Price was knocked out in the 2nd round last Saturday night in a huge upset in Liverpool, UK. Maloney picked out the 41-year-old Thompson, and it was supposed to be an easy fight against an aging heavyweight who looked to be on his last legs. But as it turns out, even this faded version of Thompson was more than good enough to beat the heavily hyped but still unproven 6’8’ Price. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Promoter Eddie Hearn is saying that his fighter unbeaten welterweight Kell Brook (29-0, 19 KO’s) will be fighting IBF welterweight champion Devon Alexander (24-1, 13 KO’s) on May 18th on the undercard of the Lamont Peterson vs. Lucas Matthysse card in Washington, DC.
If they fight at the Convention Center they could draw a huge crowd of more than 10,000, and that is easily the best number you can get for a fight card like this in the United States.
Hearn said to I Film London “We’re [Kell Brook] looking at May 18th on the Peterson vs. Matthysse card in Washington, DC. I don’t care what day it is or where it is. I just want the result. I think he [Brook] was born to be champion, and it doesn’t matter if it’s 10 weeks later, he’s still going to get on the card.” Read the rest of this entry »