By Gav Duthie: This is my idea for a timeline leading to one of the biggest fights of all time Mayweather v Pacquaio to come off in September 2015. For this to happen we need lots of guarantees. We need Mayweather and Pacquaio not to lose which is not a certainty with Maidana and Algieri looking to destroy the party.
Furthermore we need for these promoters, managers and fighters to stop acting like children and agree to terms. The most important people here are of course Floyd Maywether and Bob Arum. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Heavyweight prospect Anthony Joshua (7-0, 7 KOs) has been added to the September 13th Scott Quigg vs. Paulus Ambunda card at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, UK, according to Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn. It looks like the Quigg-Ambunda card needed a name to help sell tickets, and that’s probably where Joshua comes in. Having him on the card will definitely help sell tickets, because the Quigg fight is hardly gripping given that he’s facing an unknown bottom ranked #15 fringe contender instead of a top 5 contender that could give him a good fight.
“We will be adding @anthonyfjoshua to our Manchester show on Sept 13 at the @Phones4uArena,” Hearn said. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: Top Rank promoter Bob Arum ruled out once again a fight between his guy WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KOs) and former WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (44-1-1, 31 KOs) for Cotto’s next fight date on December 13th at Madison Square Garden in New York.
A match-up between Cotto and #8 WBO Andy Lee has already been talked about as possibly happening on this date, but fans have been generally cool to the idea of those two facing each other. It’s seen as too much of a mismatch in the eyes of fans. Arum still isn’t interested in putting together the Cotto vs. Canelo fight for December despite that being the match-up fans want to see. They’re not interested in seeing those two guys in preliminary bouts. It looks like Arum wants to let the Cotto-Canelo fight marinate a little longer like he did the Juan Manuel Lopez vs. Yuriorkis Gamboa fight that never took place. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Trainer Robert Garcia says that his fighter Brandon Rios (32-2-1, 23 KOs) contacted him from the hospital to tell him that he wants a rematch against the hard hitting Argentinian Diego Chaves (23-2, 19 KOs) because he’s not happy with the result of his 9th round disqualification win over him from last Saturday night at the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Nevada.
Rios was training in the 9th round when referee Vic Drakulich disqualified Chaves for reportedly throwing an elbow. I still haven’t seen when and where the elbow was thrown, but that was a reason for the stoppage. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: #2 IBF Carl Frampton (18-0, 13 KOs) will be challenging IBF super bantamweight champion Kiko Martinez (31-4, 23 KOs) for his title on September 6th at the Titanic Quarter, in Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom.
Frampton’s management was able to make it worthwhile for Kiko to fight in Frampton’s home country on 9/6 instead of Kiko’s home in Spain. You’ve got to hope that we don’t see a controversial decision in this fight because that would be a tragedy.
Frampton defeated Kiko last year in February in the 9th round when he caught him with a big shot while on the run. Frampton was having major problems with Martinez’s power, and had to get on his bicycle in order to keep from taking too much punishment during the exchanges. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Rod Salka (19-3, 3 KOs) says that WBA/WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia (28-0, 16 KOs) in a situation this Saturday night where he’s going to take heat from fans no matter what he does in their fight on Showtime at the Barclays Center, in Brooklyn, New York, USA.
With Salka being a lightweight, and a non-top 15 ranked one at that, Garcia can get nothing from this fight for beating Salka as far as credit from the knowledgeable boxing fans.
The casual fans who have no clue who Salka or Garcia is, will be impressed with Garcia if he beats Salka in a convincing manner, but the fans who follow that sport won’t give him full credit because he’s matched against a smaller, less talented, a non-ranked fighter that he’s pulled up to the welterweight division to fight in a 10-round, non-title fight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Promoter Lou Dibella is excited at the thought of his fighter #8 WBO Andy Lee (33-2, 23 KOs) potentially ending up as the next opponent for WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KOs) next December.
Cotto reportedly doesn’t want to take a risky fight against someone that is good enough to potentially beat him and mess up his plans for a mega payday against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez next May on Cinco de Mayo. And that’s where 30-year-old Andy Lee comes in. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: HBO’s triple-header last Saturday night with Diego Chaves facing Brandon Rios, Sergey Kovalev fighting Blake Caparello and Antonio Novkov battling Jessie Vargas, brought in decent ratings for HBO, but far from the number of viewers they’ve seen in past fight cards.
The Rios vs. Chaves fight averaged 936 thousand viewers, making it the 13th most watched fight in 2014, according to Dan Rafael of ESPN. Being the 13th most watched fight on U.S television this year isn’t a good thing. It tells you that Top Rank should have placed the Rios-Chaves fight on an undercard instead of having it as a main event. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Amir Khan (29-3, 19 KOs) has never faced Floyd Mayweather Jr or Manny Pacquiao, but he figures that Pacquiao would be the tougher fight for him because of his aggressiveness.
Khan thinks that the two fighters are getting older and will need to be replaced soon. While Khan doesn’t mention himself as the guy that will ultimately replacing them, it seems that’s something he’s hoping for.
Khan can’t really test his theory about Pacquiao being tougher than Mayweather, because he’s not had any luck in getting either of them in the ring to face him. It could be that Khan hasn’t done enough since his back to back losses to Danny Garcia and Lamont Peterson, or it just might his style of fighting that is keeping him from getting those fights. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jim Dower: 35-year-old former WBA 175 pound champion Gabriel Campillo (24-6-1, 11 KOs) is a possibility for WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson’s next title defense on September 27th at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada, according to RingTV.
Campillo is coming off of a big win over previously unbeaten contender Thomas Williams Jr last Friday night. Campillo was able to take some monstrous shots from Williams Jr in the first 4 rounds to get a cut stoppage in the 5th. Read the rest of this entry »