Boxing News - Latest Headlines


title Fury: Wladimir is going to hate me after the fight

fury56789By Scott Gilfoid: After giving IBF/IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (64-3, 53 KOs) a verbal thrashing earlier today in front of the German media, unbeaten British heavyweight Tyson Fury (24-0, 18 KOs) said that the 39-year-old Wladimir, who sees as a graying, wrinkled old man, is going to hate him after he loses.

Fury says he knows it’s going to be like this. However, if Fury keeps making Wladimir look bad like he did today during the kickoff press conference in Germany, Wladimir might hate him even before they get inside the ring. Read the rest of this entry »



title Chavez Jr-Reyes averages 663K viewers on Showtime

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Marco ReyesBy Dan Ambrose: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr’s fight last Saturday night against Marcos Reyes (33-3, 24 KOs) averaged only 663,000 viewers with a peak of 707,000 viewers on Showtime Championship Boxing from the Don Haskins Center in El Paso, Texas. The Chavez Jr-Reyes numbers were above Chavez Jr’s ratings for his last fight against Andrzej Fonfara last April. That fight averaged 618,000 viewers, according to Dan Rafael.

Chavez Jr. used to bring in huge ratings each time he fought, but they’ve really gone downhill after his back to back poor performances against Brian Vera in 2013 and 2014. Chavez Jr. averaged 1.39 million viewers for his fight against Vera in 2014. Read the rest of this entry »



title Chavez Jr. wants Lucian Bute next

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Marco ReyesBy Dan Ambrose: After a less than scintillating performance in beating little known middleweight Marcos Reyes (33-3, 24 KOs) by a 10 round unanimous decision last Saturday night on Showtime, former WBC 160lb champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (49-2-1, 32 KOs) is looking to pick his next opponent. Chavez Jr., 29, is interested in facing former IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute (31-2, 24 KOs) next.

Before he can take that fight, or any other fight, Chavez Jr. will need to wait until his left hand heals up. He says he suffered a hairline fracture of his left hand in beating Reyes. The good news is the injury should only take three weeks to heal before Chavez Jr. can resume training. Read the rest of this entry »



title Wladimir Klitschko signs 5-fight extension with RTL German TV

wladimirBy Scott Gilfoid: In a sign that IBF/IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (64-3, 53 KOs) believes that he’ll be able to stay on top of the sport for at least another two more years, he’s reportedly signed a 5-fight contract with RTL, a German TV company, to have his next 5-fights televised with them.

It’s a risky gamble on RTL’s part, because the 39-year-old Wladimir could very well fall apart in his very next fight against Britain’s Tyson Fury (24-0, 18 KOs) in their fight on October 24th at the ESPRIT Arena in Dusseldorf, Germany. To be sure, if Wladimir loses the fight with the 26-year-old Fury, he’ll be getting a rematch against him. Read the rest of this entry »



title Fury: I’m interested in breaking Wladimir’s face

By Scott Gilfoid: The light hitting #1 WBO Tyson Fury (24-0, 18 KOs) was in a real trash talking mood tonight at his press conference with IBF/IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (64-3, 53 KOs) to get ready for their fight three months from now on October 24th in Dusseldorf, Germany. Read the rest of this entry »



title Badou Jack vs. George Groves being moved to September 12th?

jack(Photo credit: Sumio Yamada) By Scott Gilfoid: The Badou Jack (19-1-1, 12 KOs) vs. George Groves (21-2, 16 KOs) has been moved off of the August 22n date, according to Dan Rafael. He says that the fight could be moved to September 12th instead. The fight had been scheduled for Showtime Championship Boxing for 8/22, but it’s been move for some reason.

It’s possible that the Jack-Groves fight is being moved to September 12th in order to beef up the undercard for the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Andre Berto fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Adding that fight to the card will make it a lot more interesting card. Read the rest of this entry »



title Kovalev vs. Ward fight in discussions

By Dan Ambrose: While IBF/WBA/WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (27-0-1, 24 KOs) still has his mind focused on his fight this Saturday night against challenger Nadjib Mohammedi (37-3, 23 KOs) on HBO Championship Boxing from the Mandalay Bay resort in Las Vegas, Nevada, it’s hard for him not to be thinking about a big money match-up against unbeaten WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward (28-0, 15 KOs) that could be taking place next year in 2016. Read the rest of this entry »



title Mayweather-Berto isn’t even a fight, says Victor Ortiz

ortiz54By Dan Ambrose: Former WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz (30-5-2, 23 KOs) says he doesn’t even see the September 12th match-up between WBA/WBC 147lb champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (48-0, 26 KOs) and former IBF/WBC welterweight champ Andre Berto (30-3, 23 KOs) as an actual fight. Ortiz says he sees it as an embarrassing fight, and that he thinks both guys should retire from the sport. However, Ortiz, 28, says he would still like a rematch with Mayweather so that he can try and avenge his 4th round knockout defeat that he suffered against him in their fight in September 2011.

“You know what? It’s embarrassing, bro,” Ortiz said to TMZ.com about the Mayweather vs. Berto fight on September 12th. “That’s not even a fight. Read the rest of this entry »



title What we learned last weekend

arreola45By Gav Duthie: A very interesting weekend of boxing has been and gone with various ramifications arising for future fights across the divisions. We witnessed top level action from Germany, the UK And the US and after catching up with it all this is what I have surmised.

Crolla is one unlucky guy

For most fans after Saturday night Anthony Crolla is a champion without the belt. For anyone who believes in Karma they may have to re-think after Crolla a local hero was once again robbed of his chance to realize a dream. Read the rest of this entry »



title Video: Tyson Fury Blasts Klitschko At First Presser

click here to buy Klitschko – Fury Tickets, Düsseldorf

K2 Promotions and Hennessy Sports reached an agreement today prior to the scheduled World Boxing Association purse bid for the highly anticipated Heavyweight World Championship between long-reigning champion Wladimir Klitschko and #1 ranked challenger Tyson Fury. Read the rest of this entry »



The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of BoxingNews24 or its affiliates.

Privacy Statement l Back to top of page l Cookies Policy l Boxing Resources l Contact Us