By Chris Williams: The 37-year-old Manny Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs) wants to return to the sport of boxing, says his trainer Bob Arum of Top Rank. In a bold move, Arum has already booked the Mandalay Bay Resort in Las Vegas, Nevada on October 15 for Pacquiao in case he chooses to come out of retirement. This would be a PPV fight like all of Pacquiao’s other fights in the last eight years of his career.
Pacquiao retired earlier this year after his third fight against Tim Bradley. That wasn’t a fight that was in demand from the sport, and Arum clearly blew it by choosing to match Pacquiao and Bradley again rather than bringing in new blood for Pacquiao to fight. Pacquiao is now working as a senator in the Philippines, and the job is said to be a difficult one that requires a great deal of time on a daily basis. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Former super middleweight champion Carl Froch claims he offered a catch-weight fight against middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin at 172 pound last year, but the Kazakhstan fighter didn’t want the match due to Froch’s size and power. If there was an actual for a fight by Froch, he was a tad late, because Golovkin wanted to fight him in 2013. Instead of Froch taking the fight, he retired from the sport.
If Froch did try and face Golovkin last year at light heavyweight, it was probably too late and the wrong weight class. I mean, I could see Golovkin moving up one division to fight Froch, but definitely not two divisions. There are limits of what Golovkin will put up with in order to get a fight. It would have been a gamble for Golovkin if he’d taken the fight with Froch. I’m not talking about a game of Golovkin losing. I’m talking about a gamble of the fight potentially not doing well because of Froch having been out of the sport for so long. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Undefeated WBC flyweight champion Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez (45-0, 38 KOs) is in negotiations with unbeaten WBC super flyweight champion Carlos Cuadras (35-0-1, 27 KOs) for a fight on HBO Championship Boxing on September 10 in Los Angeles, California, according to Ring TV.
Gonzalez, 29, will be moving up in weight from flyweight (112lbs) to challenge for the 27-year-old Cuadras’ WBC 115lb title. The negotiations are still underway.
This is one of those 50-50 fights that are hard to predict. Cuadras has a lot of talent and punching power. It’s same with Gonzalez. Both fighters are 5’4”. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: #2 WBA, #2 WBC middleweight contender Chris Eubank Jr. (23-1, 18 KOs) will be getting a huge payday in his proposed fight against IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs) if the fight can get made. Eubank Jr. could make a little over $4 million for the fight, according to the Dailymail. The contracts for the fight are expected to be signed by the end of this week. Eubank Jr’s promoter Eddie Hearn wants the Golovkin-Eubank Jr. fight to take place at the O2 Arena in London, UK.
Golovkin is expected to go along with whatever venue that is suggested by Hearn. This is going to be Eubank Jr’s chance to show that he’s willing to take on the best by facing Golovkin. If Eubank Jr. fails to sign the contract, he’ll be widely criticized by boxing fans and the media. Read the rest of this entry »
By Patrick McHugh: Former IBF middleweight champion Darren Barker doesn’t see Chris Eubank Jr. as having the ability of shocking the world if he winds up challenging multi-160lb belt holder Gennady “GGG” Golovkin this year. Barker understands that Eubank Jr. is extremely confident of his ability, but he still doubts whether he can pull off an upset as big as this one in him facing an A-level fighter like Triple G.
Barker notes that the 26-year-old Eubank Jr. would be going from fighting domestic level opposition like he’s been doing recently to face the No. 1 middleweight in the division in GGG. Barker thinks that step up might be too big of one for Eubank Jr. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Ring Magazine has IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook (36-0, 25 KOs) rated as their No.1 fighter at 147. This is pretty impressive given that the 30-year-old Brook has arguably only fought one good opponent in his entire 12-year pro career in Shawn Porter from two years ago in 2014.
If Brook retires now, he can go out on a high note knowing that he was rated as Ring’s top #1 welterweight. It would be Brook’s 15 minutes of fame. However, I’m not sure if I agree with the Ring’s ratings, because I tend to rate fighters based on a combination of talent and experience rather than a single victory they won two years ago. Frankly, I see Brook lacking in the talent department compared to several other fighters that I rate above him like Errol Spence Jr., Keith Thurman and Shawn Porter.
Brook will be facing WBO 147lb champion Jessie Vargas (27-1, 10 KOs) in a unification fight in September at a still to be determined official date. Brook says he wants to unify all the titles at welterweight. Whether he can accomplish that is anyone’s guess. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Top Rank promoter Bob Arum believes his fighter WBO super middleweight champion Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez (34-0, 24 KOs) is on the cusp of superstardom. Arum will be matching the 25-year-old Ramirez against middleweight star Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs) in early 2017, and he believes that the 6’2” Ramirez will win that fight thanks to his four inch height and five inch reach advantage over the Kazakhstan fighter.
Arum sees a victory for Ramirez over Golovkin as a fight that will transform the Mexican fighter into a pay-per-view attraction on HBO. Whether that happens or not is debatable. Ramirez may need to do a lot more than beating the 34-year-old Golovkin for him to become a PPV attraction. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: With his narrow 12 round unanimous decision victory over Shawn Porter on June 25, WBA World welterweight champion Keith “One Time” Thurman (27-0, 22 KOs) is talking about wanting to fight a unification match against WBC welterweight champion Danny Garcia.
If Keith can’t get Garcia, then he wants to take on one of the other welterweights champions in IBF belt holder Kell Brook or WBO champion Jessie Vargas. Those two titles will be unified after Brook and Vargas fight each other in September, so there’s a possibility for Thurman to get two titles at once if he can face the winner of that fight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Unbeaten #1 IBF contender Joseph Parker (19-0, 16 KOs) saw IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua’s fight against Dominic Breazeale last Saturday night, and he feels very confident against British fighter when the two of them do face each other, according to Parker’s promoter Dean Lonergan.
Parker is Joshua’s mandatory challenger, and he’s ready to fight him in November or in early 2017. He’ll be ready for that fight when it does take place. Parker, 24, has the youth, jab, size, power and the boxing skills to give Joshua his first loss of his career.
“How is AJ going to go when he’s eating Joseph’s jab all night?” said Lonerman to skysports.com. “After Saturday night, we’re very confident, Joseph is very confident.” Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Joe Gallagher, the trainer for WBO junior middleweight champion Liam Smith (23-0-1, 13 KOs), believes his fighter has a very good chance of pulling off the upset by beating former two division world champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (47-1-1 33 KOs) in their fight in less than three months from now on September 17 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Gallagher thinks Smith, 27, can win as long as he soundly beats Canelo in a conclusive enough way to where he can’t lose by a decision or by knocking him out. Gallagher notes that Amir Khan recently fought Canelo last May in a fight in which Khan appeared to win many of the first five rounds of the contest.
The judges gave most of those rounds to Canelo, and they had Khan trailing in the fight at the time that he was knocked out in round six. Read the rest of this entry »