By Dan Ambrose: Undefeated welterweight contender Errol Spence Jr. (21-0, 18 KOs) brought in an average of 4.8 million viewers last Sunday for his fight against Leonard Bundu (33-2-2, 12 KOs) on Premier Boxing Champions on NBC in their fight at the Ford Amphitheater in Coney Island, New York.
The Spence-Bundu fight peaked at 6.34 million viewers. This was PBC’s No.1 fight of all time in the ratings department. The fact that it was Spence that brought in the ratings is pretty special, because he’s being earmarked as the next huge star in the 147lb division. Spence is two or three wins away from being the biggest star in the welterweight division. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Amir Khan (31-4, 19 KOs) says he wants to be really active in 2017 by fighting three times in the year. The 29-year-old Khan has the following months in mind for his three fights: January, May and December 2017.
Whether Khan can do that is not will largely be determined on if he wins and stays injury free.
You would have to assume that is Khan gets whipped by his opposition in January or May, and then he’ll sit out of the ring for a spell to recover from the losses. I mean, if Khan gets knocked out once or twice in his next two fights, then it’s highly unlikely we’ll see him fighting three times in 2017. Read the rest of this entry »
By Michael Montero – On the afternoon of August 23rd in Big Bear Lake, California, Abel Sanchez opened his gym to the media for a glimpse into the routine that has molded Gennady Golovkin into the finest middleweight in the world. Golovkin, along with his sparring partners, put in a full workout in front of the boxing press without missing a beat. There was plenty of sweat along with plenty of smiles; indeed the crew up at “The Summit” makes everybody feel like family, inside the ring and out. “There are no egos in this gym,” light heavyweight veteran and GGG sparring partner Darnell Boone told us, “everybody treats you like family, they’re great people.” Read the rest of this entry »
By Gerardo Granados: Since the November 5th fight between Manny Pacquiao and Jessie Vargas was officially announced, I have read and hear criticism towards this fight, but I don’t think it’s a bad match up at all. In fact, I believe this one might as well end up in the upset of the year. So, I asked to a friend sports journalist Niccolo Chaves if he thought that Max Kellerman had rushed to write off the Jessie Vargas vs Manny Pacquiao upcoming fight. But my friend didn’t know what Max Kellerman had said at the ESPN First Take show last week.
So I told him that basically Kellerman said Manny Pacquiao was cherry picking Jessie Vargas. My friend replied “Well, Vargas is no Sugar Ray Leonard, but he still has a belt and can be decent after the third Tim Bradley fight. When Floyd Mayweather and Pacquiao are involved, the expectations are so sky high that often their matches are mismatches.” Read the rest of this entry »
By Eric Baldwin: Unbeaten super middleweight prospect Caleb Plant (14-0, 10 Kos) dominated an over-matched Juan De Angel (18-5-1, 17 KOs) in beating him by a lopsided 10 round unanimous decision on Tuesday night on Premier Boxing Champions on Fox Sports 1 at the Sands Bethlehem Events Center in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. The final judges’ scores were 100-89, 100-89 and 100-89. Read the rest of this entry »
By Patrick McHugh: HBO decided recently not to televise the November 5 fight between Top Rank promoted welterweights Manny Pacquiao and Jessie Vargas for their fight at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. HBO reportedly wants to televise the Pacquiao-Vargas fight on October 29 in order to package it with the Tyson Fury vs. Wladimir Klitschko fight card.
Showtime commentator Paulie Malignaggi was surprised that HBO chose not to televise the Pacquiao-Vargas fight because he still sees the Filipino star as capable of bringing in pay-per-view buys at this point in his career, even though his last fight against Tim Bradley was said to have done poorly in not selling what he’d done in the past. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (47-1-1, 33 KOs) is starting to sound like a parrot with the way he’s repeating over and over that his boxing fans will be getting a “big surprise” when they tune in for his title shot against WBO junior middleweight champion Liam “Beefy” Smith (23-0-1, 13 KOs) on September 17 on HBO pay-per-view.
Smith is an underdog in this fight, so it’s hard to see it as kind of surprise if Canelo beats him. A surprise would be Canelo losing the fight or if him making a big announcement of a fight against IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin. But beating Smith won’t be a surprise.
“I think people are going to be very surprised that day,” said Canelo to Fighthpe.com. “We are going to put on a great event and a great fight. We will give everyone a big surprise. I want people to be happy because these are very important dates for me. Mexican Independence Day is very important to me to represent my country and we will give everyone a big surprise. It’s very important for me,” said Canelo. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: WBO junior middleweight champion Liam “Beefy” Smith (23-0-1, 13 KOs) doesn’t want to leave anything to chance against the highly popular Mexican fighter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (47-1-1, 33 KOs) on September 17 in their fight on HBO pay-per-view at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Smith takes issue with him being viewed as a “paper champion” in the minds of many boxing fans, and he wants to show them that he’s not a paper belt holder by him beating the 26-year-old Canelo. However, even if Smith does defeat Canelo, it won’t stop fans from seeing him as a paper champion, because there are arguably better champions at 154 than Canelo in the Charlo brothers and Erislandy Lara. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Unbeaten interim World Boxing Association heavyweight champion Luis “The Real King” Ortiz (25-0, 22 KOs) have reportedly parted ways. According to Dan Rafael, the 37-year-old Ortiz has bought out his contract with Golden Boy and the two will now go their separate ways. It’s unknown who the Cuban Ortiz will sign with for his next promoters. But with his kind of talent, he’s likely going to have a lot of takers. The 6’4”, 240lb Ortiz would be a great addition to Al Haymon’s team of fighters. If Lou Dibella signed him, he would give Haymon an excellent heavyweight for his stable.
Here’s what Golden Boy Promotions said about Ortiz in a statement sent out to the boxing media on Tuesday: Read the rest of this entry »
By Gav Duthie: The greatest male American hope since Andre Wards gold medal in 2004 has fallen at the final hurdle. Shakur Stevenson boxed well but was eventually outworked by now two time Gold medalist Cuban Robeisy Ramirez. Stevenson drops to 26-1 in international competition and was distraught after the decision but at only 19 he has a bright future ahead. The financial lure will likely turn Shakur professional before the end of the year and he will still return home a hero and possibly a millionaire by the years end as promoters vie for his signature.
Being a silver medalist was no disgrace against Ramirez. Being from the UK it reminded me of 2004 when 17 year old Amir Khan lost in the final to Mario Kindelan, he was a wolf in sheep’s clothing, a professional boxing as an amateur, a multiple world champion that never was, Robeisy Ramirez could be the same so should he turn professional? Read the rest of this entry »